ANSWERED: HoL Mounts

... post your favorite game bugs here for the coders' attention. Please, please, please, show the steps necessary to repeat the bug. Otherwise they can't be solved and they will be ignored...
Reyne

ANSWERED: HoL Mounts

Postby Reyne » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:27 pm

Is this really working as intended? My screen just got spammed like crazy until I canceled the weave by saying something (even though apparently I lost my connection to Saidar entirely). Not the first time, either, but I figured maybe it was my client the first time.

... Out of curiosity why do HoL have an anti-channel mobol on their horses at all? A horse that can sense Saidar?

k viellain
You try to slash Viellain, but he parries successfully.

HP:Healthy SP:Strong MV:Tiring - Viellain: Healthy >
[embrace ]
You feel the flows of saidar coursing through your body.

spi
HP:Healthy SP:Strong MV:Tiring - Viellain: Healthy >
[channel 'ice spikes']
You begin to weave the appropriate flows...

-
=
A battle-trained gray destrier plants his forefeet on the ground and lashes out with his hooves!
Ouch!
You lost control of Saidar!
Your weave snaps back into itself.
Ok.
Viellain tries to pierce you, but you deflect the blow.
You aren't in touch with saidar to channel it.
Meren chats 'I actually did go to help, but someone Reyned on my parade.'

+

+

=

-

-

=

+

You try to slash Viellain, but he dodges the attack.

+

=

-

-

=
A worker leaves west. <<
Viellain gives a Hand of Light questioner an order.
A Hand of Light questioner joins Viellain's fight!

+

A Hand of Light questioner tries to scythe you, but you parry successfully.
You try to slash Viellain, but he dodges the attack.

+

=

-

-

=
Viellain pierces your right leg very hard.

+

+

=
Viellain tries to pierce you, but you parry successfully.
You try to slash Viellain, but he parries successfully.

-

-

=

+

Viellain pierces your right leg very hard.

+

=

-

You swiftly dodge a Hand of Light questioner's attempt to scythe you.
Viellain swiftly dodges your attempt to slash him.

-

=

+

+

=

-

say your horses are ridiculous

-

Cancelled.
Viellain swiftly dodges your attempt to slash him.
You say 'your horses are ridiculous'

Elysia

Re: HoL Mounts

Postby Elysia » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:48 pm

It gives you that message for every pulse of the weave you were still weaving, so it is not random, or without end.

Unfortunately, aside from the universally hated emote damage, this is the only way to make these work, and has been for nearly a decade.

As for why HoL have this feature... they're HoL. At the time this was put in, they were the only ones who were allowed to hunt channelers more or less indiscriminately. Thus they were given a tool to fulfill their rp.

Reyne

Postby Reyne » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:09 pm

Elysia wrote:It gives you that message for every pulse of the weave you were still weaving, so it is not random, or without end.

How am I weaving if I'm not connected to the source, though? Seems like if I get kicked so hard that I can't hold the source I shouldn't still be weaving. I'm guessing that's coding though.

Also, it seems like at least 3 rounds of combat happened while my screen was getting spammed. So we're talking about significantly more pulses than the ice spikes weave actually takes to complete normally? Assuming the wiki is accurate, a round of combat is 12 pulses whereas ice spikes is 13. If it gives that message for every pulse then something seems wonky here. I got about 60 of those messages before I finally canceled weaving.

I know people hate emotes but personally I'd much rather just take an emote hoof kick that interrupts my weaving than having my screen spammed, then having to cancel the weave and re-embrace saidar, and then finally weaving again.

Elysia wrote:As for why HoL have this feature... they're HoL. At the time this was put in, they were the only ones who were allowed to hunt channelers more or less indiscriminately. Thus they were given a tool to fulfill their rp.

Perhaps I'm biased from the channeler perspective but...

No-locs are very easily attainable, they get messages from smobs (any smobs, including DS?) about wanteds (channelers), *and* they have a horse that interrupts weaving making it effectively impossible for a channeler to fight them if they are near said horse? Seems like they have quite a few tools to hunt channelers to me.

Hope

Postby Hope » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:49 pm

My rp is to heal and kill trollocs, can my horse heal injured humans and kick trollocs? Thanks in advance.

Aishana

Postby Aishana » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:02 pm

All things considered I have an easier time killing HoL on Aishana than I do killing witches on Reven. Course I also don’t bother with the horse on Reven, but I also don’t sit around trying to melee dodgers with my little dagger so I don’t see the point. What’s he going to do to you if you know he’s there? It’s not 100% just keep trying to weave.

Reyne

Postby Reyne » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:15 pm

Aishana wrote:It’s not 100% just keep trying to weave.

Kind of not the point, really. First of all, the screen spam sucks. I think we can all agree there. That could potentially crash a client or mess with scripts or whatever. Second of all, you have HoL running around using ter'angreal, communicating with shadowspawn, and riding horses that can sense Saidar. It breaks RP into pieces. It's a little much considering the TV gates don't even lock. Does HoL really need that many crutches to go stab novices and Accepteds?

Regarding just keep trying to weave, my point is I have to cancel the weave, re-embrace, then weave again. It's a huge pain compared to just getting the weave interrupted when you're hit. 3 commands vs 1. Do I really need a script/alias just for when there is a HoL horse in the room?

I mean okay I could go back to sleep-stab but there is some problem when stab/abs seems to be *the* most effective channeler build by a huge margin because hey most people who know what they are doing can avoid getting weaved on fairly easily even without a horse to help. Unless they are just utterly not paying attention or trying to run a bash. Then everyone claims to be AFK, of course. Even if I hit them with a weave or two, so what? Warriors can just eat it and bash me dead in 3-4 rounds, hunters can do the same with charge, and rogues just need to get one stab off and let people run around burning mvs trying to find them. HoA got nerfed so that it barely ever procs anymore because "channeling overpowered" so I can't even rely on that to get a spike or two in during a fight in which I need to land at least 5-7+ in ideal weather to bring someone to beat/crit (average damage of 68 per in cold weather, assuming about 300-400 hp which even prerolled stats can hit). Feels like I'm throwing nerf darts sometimes.

Regardless of balance and RP stuff which is perhaps outside the scope of the Bugs forum... if it is supposed to end when the weave timer ends then it is bugged because that's not happening. I got spammed for ~60 pulses before I finally broke it off myself. That's more than just a question of the weave itself getting interrupted. Just make it an emote and problem solved, no?

Elysia

Postby Elysia » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:49 pm

Reyne wrote:No-locs are very easily attainable, they get messages from smobs (any smobs, including DS?) about wanteds (channelers), *and* they have a horse that interrupts weaving making it effectively impossible for a channeler to fight them if they are near said horse? Seems like they have quite a few tools to hunt channelers to me.

This horse was literally the first and the only thing HoL got, until literally this year. Channelers have had things going for them for-e-ver.

And yes, fixing this particular issue is coding. You're probably better off with this than emote damage as this doesn't cost you anything but time. This is just a matter of learning about it, dealing with it and deciding whether you want to weave or not. I've fought Hol with these mounts and yes, it's annoying, but not impossible.

Reyne

Postby Reyne » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:12 pm

Well as I tell myself when I play Dark Souls... I guess I just have to get good then. At least I won't be surprised the next time.

:D

Ty for the quick responses Elysia.

Return to “Bugs”