Can we as players generally make clanning easier?

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
kirafa

Can we as players generally make clanning easier?

Post by kirafa » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:47 pm

Like...it's a game, not a job. The prospect of taking real life months to clan is a real turn off. R1 should be for vetting and getting to know a candidate. If they don't perform, boot them instead of ranking them.

Sure there can be a more stringent process for bonused or secret clans. But for run of the mill justice clans...Waiting around on an unclanned character and hoping someone from a half inactive clan appears so you can try to charm them is nonsense.

Maegon

Re: Can we as players generally make clanning easier?

Post by Maegon » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:54 pm

kirafa wrote:Waiting around on an unclanned character and hoping someone from a half inactive clan appears so you can try to charm them is nonsense.
You could try to mail some of their members. Chances are they are just playing alts. If they are that badly inactive, email the clan watcher.

Kerryk

Post by Kerryk » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:03 am

I completely agree Kirafa, I have a post on the Companion forums trying to come up with an automated system for anyone to join Illian at rank 1. The main problem with the current system is the fact that players can deny another player from joining, this is the backbone of the old boys club, and this selective approach removes any merit from the process. It allows friends to get in and people to exclude others on grounds of perception.

I could write a paper on this, but I don't have time right now :P

Rig

Post by Rig » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:24 am

I personally vote based on experience with said character, so if you get no voted by me you can more than likely fix the problem.

I don't think there's an old boyz club anymore really. It's been pretty simple for a lot of the clans i've joined that you'd think it's that way. Don't be a fuckhead. Automated clanning allows for anyone random fuckhead to easily join. There's only maybe 4 or 5 clans I can think of that demand any sort of time, perseverance, and desire to be accepted in. This is for obvious reasons because of either the bonuses involved or the character type.

Generally, I think it's a good idea to mail a clan's watcher if the said clan is completely inactive or if you've had no response for a significant amount of time. This has been a big problem for Dhai'mon and Ahf'frait in the past concerning inactive masters around to clan people. There's nothing stopping other players who are not master/council from starting a vote thread if they've been the only ones around. If nobody speaks up because of inactivity that's their fault. If it comes down to it being completely inactive, as I said before, mail a clan watcher and I think they can offer you a set of clan reqs to complete based on past experience.

Kerryk

Post by Kerryk » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:14 am

Rig,

I totally believe that you believe that you can be impartial when it comes to alts, but right here you say
Rig wrote:I don't think there's an old boyz club anymore really. It's been pretty simple for a lot of the clans i've joined that you'd think it's that way. Don't be a fuckhead. Automated clanning allows for anyone random fuckhead to easily join.
This statement right here shows exactly what the "old boys club" mentality is all about. Judging that someone is a fuckhead is subjective and allows bias and discrimination into the process. This viewpoint is based on ownership, and players while they guide and shape clans, they don't own the clan. They serve the clan through the established RP and context from the WoT books. If someone is auto clanned, then their actions as a clanmate determine if they can progress past rank 1-2. This changes the process from being exclusive to inclusive.

There are tons more benefits to auto clanning...

It took me 6 months to clan in Companions, I couldn't get immortal assistance to clan, I had to wait to find a player to clan me. Wasted months of time, and if I could have auto clanned then I would of had a clan tag, assistance from guards in my city, and the presence of a clan tag on the who list that adds value to the WoT atmosphere and may of encouraged more Companions to log on. Auto clanning helps with inactive clans.

For newer players the ability to join a recognized organization from the books is an important step in learning the game and feeling like a part of the world. I was not the type to easily make friends here at first, it took me years to join my first clan and I believe that automated quests to join a clan could help and teach how to do quests and interact with mobol.

I understand the knee jerk reaction to this, it is because people get emotionally attached, and with that comes a sense of ownership.

WoTMUD Equal Opportunity Employment 2019
#stopthediscrimination

Rig

Post by Rig » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:25 am

Subjective sure. However, someone who is known to out clan information, is generally toxic, and is generally unpleasant to be around is what I consider a fuckhead.

Kerryk

Post by Kerryk » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:25 am

Rig wrote: Generally, I think it's a good idea to mail a clan's watcher if the said clan is completely inactive or if you've had no response for a significant amount of time. This has been a big problem for Dhai'mon and Ahf'frait in the past concerning inactive masters around to clan people. There's nothing stopping other players who are not master/council from starting a vote thread if they've been the only ones around. If nobody speaks up because of inactivity that's their fault. If it comes down to it being completely inactive, as I said before, mail a clan watcher and I think they can offer you a set of clan reqs to complete based on past experience.
I couldn't get clanned into Companions this way... but even if I had, what is the difference between this and a set of automated quests? The automated quests ingame teach the "applicant" about the clan while they accomplish goals with their character. If an immortal clanned them it would was immortal time and labor... and the most likely wouldn't get the same interactive experience.

Rig

Post by Rig » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:27 am

I feel it's fair that those kind of people are barred from clans due to their attitude and general toxicity. For example, would you like say, Pial, running around with an Illian Companion Tag screeching profanities and starting dung with everyone? Again, just an example, I love Pial :P

Rig

Post by Rig » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:28 am

Also, I had no idea about the immortal thing, was just what I thought would probably be a good idea!

Kerryk

Post by Kerryk » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:31 am

Rig wrote:Subjective sure. However, someone who is known to out clan information, is generally toxic, and is generally unpleasant to be around is what I consider a fuckhead.
So, old boys club instead of having staff handle something like that? Rig... seriously, you are a smarter lad than that. That isn't for players to take into their own hands, take that to staff.