Roleplay Rules

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Kitiara

Re: Roleplay Rules

Post by Kitiara » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:51 pm

On a slightly different topic (if this should be a new topic ill delete and make one)

I dont like the way Logs are used in game. They are presented as evidence and as fact. But shouldn't they just be there as a game tool for us as players to remember how things happened? When providing information to a player or clan shouldnt it be In character... and thus a remembered thing? I know we can treat logs as reports... but then its like... ok everyone always gives a step by step process of the entire event... seems silly and out of character.

I have recently stopped keeping logs as studiously because of this... i think it weakens RP. Am i just on an island here or does anyone else feel this way to?

Erulisse

Post by Erulisse » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:59 pm

I keep logs in case people try to screw me after the fact. It dosen't always help but it has saved me in the past.

Kitiara

Post by Kitiara » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:25 pm

Ya, Im not sure how to reconcile it. I feel like you keeping those logs is helpful for that kind of protection, but to hand over logs as evidence of x, y or z.... seems like ooc.

I feel like the log should be summed up, and things I like, 'I am certain he said, 'xxx' opposed to ... here is the log where he says 'xxx'

Idk maybe i am overcomplicating things... because it def makes justice matters easier to figure out when we are just given a log... it just feels... meh.

Naerin

Post by Naerin » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:33 pm

Logs *are* remembered events, from a certain perspective. They are not necessarily factual accounts; they can be edited to add or remove things (it's just a text file!). I would view them as accounts of the events in question from one person's perspective, just like you're looking for; whether they're given orally or in a log doesn't matter.

Kitiara

Post by Kitiara » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:37 pm

Right, I feel like that is how they SHOULD be seen... but so often its, 'This is exactly how it went down annnnnnd PROOF!'

Im starting to think I am making a mountain out of a mole hill... /shrug

Erulisse

Post by Erulisse » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:03 pm

People have been declanned in the past due to third party logs. The absolutely shouldn't be given any more credence if someone told you something. Unfortunately they often are.

Reyne

Post by Reyne » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:35 pm

Naerin wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:33 pm
Logs *are* remembered events, from a certain perspective. They are not necessarily factual accounts; they can be edited to add or remove things (it's just a text file!). I would view them as accounts of the events in question from one person's perspective, just like you're looking for; whether they're given orally or in a log doesn't matter.
This is more or less how I view them. What helps is when more than 1 person sends logs from their own perspectives which all corroborate each other. Like comparing witness statements to each other, if you will.

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:02 pm

Reyne wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:35 pm
Naerin wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:33 pm
This is more or less how I view them. What helps is when more than 1 person sends logs from their own perspectives which all corroborate each other. Like comparing witness statements to each other, if you will.
I agree.

I see logs the way I see photos. I studied photography, and due to it's ties with journalism, and the fact that at the time of it's inception a camera was seen as a machine rather than a tool that could be used artistically, photographs were largely accepted as fact. It's only in recent years with photoshop etc. that people have begun to question that, when in fact photographs could be doctored from the beginning.

A log can be doctored. Someone with time and dedication could even just write one. I think they're acceptable as a report but on it's own it is not sufficient evidence. The idea of imagining them as an eyewitness account is a good one.

Sanguine

Post by Sanguine » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:51 pm

They break RP somewhat (though we also often get "RP logs" which are just a bunch of says and emotes), but are they any less credible than a written "he said/he did" RP statement? Those are inherently more biased than logs. Evidence is such an awkward thing in this game.

Fuujin

Post by Fuujin » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:23 pm

Delion wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:15 pm
Cosmo wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:44 am
Like joining a clan and thinking you can just do something else because you don't want to follow the clan's RP. Such as being a Defender and having no interest in protecting the Stone
Uh oh
:lol: :lol: :lol: