One Year of Trump

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Rark

Re: One Year of Trump

Postby Rark » Tue May 22, 2018 9:41 am

Would imagine it would matter more to the conservative voters, which is why its been blown up by the media. Pretty sure Trump could beat up a homeless person in the street and most Trump supporters wouldn't change their mind about him.

Enok

Postby Enok » Tue May 22, 2018 11:19 am

Imagine Obama beating up a homeless veteran in Jackson, MS.

Fox News would explode.

nalav

Postby nalav » Tue May 22, 2018 7:46 pm

Both the left and the right seem to exist solely in their own echo chambers. It's great to watch them clash.

Jestin

Postby Jestin » Tue May 22, 2018 10:33 pm

nalav wrote:Both the left and the right seem to exist solely in their own echo chambers. It's great to watch them clash.

We're fucked because of this. It's sad to watch.

Arkan

Postby Arkan » Tue May 22, 2018 11:14 pm

On that topic, I have almost no Republican friends simply because they never travel in my circles. Education is constantly and vehemently attacked, and I have my elitist degrees. A few decades ago, Republicans were actually leaders in environmental circles, but now they generally wouldn't be caught dead actually helping out wildlife. I have a couple old wrestling friends, and that's about it. So we can talk about echo chambers, but they've gleefully removed themselves almost completely from the spheres in which I live and I'm not about to attend a Klan rally to get a new perspective. So I've chatted with the friends, though at least one voted 3rd party and it's unclear about the other. And let's face it, anyone who likes Trump, the man who claimed he knows more than our generals and had a secret plan to defeat ISIS, has all sorts of screws loose, so good riddance.

Jestin

Postby Jestin » Wed May 23, 2018 10:07 am

:cry:

Firimei Lang

Postby Firimei Lang » Wed May 23, 2018 11:16 am

Enok wrote:Imagine Obama beating up a homeless veteran in Jackson, MS.

Fox News would explode.

Those idiots would have an aneurism. Fox news should drop the news part, their channel has F all to do with news.

Lykan

Postby Lykan » Wed May 23, 2018 4:28 pm

Arkan wrote:On that topic, I have almost no Republican friends simply because they never travel in my circles. Education is constantly and vehemently attacked, and I have my elitist degrees. A few decades ago, Republicans were actually leaders in environmental circles, but now they generally wouldn't be caught dead actually helping out wildlife. I have a couple old wrestling friends, and that's about it. So we can talk about echo chambers, but they've gleefully removed themselves almost completely from the spheres in which I live and I'm not about to attend a Klan rally to get a new perspective. So I've chatted with the friends, though at least one voted 3rd party and it's unclear about the other. And let's face it, anyone who likes Trump, the man who claimed he knows more than our generals and had a secret plan to defeat ISIS, has all sorts of screws loose, so good riddance.

This is a big part of the problem, as a few posts prior already said. Nearly every sentence in that has some slight (or not slight) against those who don't align with your views. I just don't really understand how/why we got to such an "us vs them" mentality - and no, don't blame Trump. I'm a registered republican and hate the guy but this definitely isnt anything new that you can pin on him. I guess its gotten worse, but it definitely didn't begin from him. You cant say your republican friends have removed themselves and are the problem, then follow it up by saying you refuse to go to a Klan rally so obviously you never see them. And if you don't see the problem there, I dont really know. This also certainly isnt an attack on liberals; both sides are guilty of this and I think we can all agree conservatives are bigger douchebags in how they go about it while liberals are bigger whiners.

As you point out in your post, you're well-educated and really should know better. I guess thats probably more of an issue with me wrongly associating education with intelligence, though - not aimed at you at all, just a general observation that you shouldn't necessarily know better simply because you're well-educated. My point is that even if the most well-informed of us cannot get past their own biases and disregard for those that don't agree with their views, what hope is there when the majority of our population is not well-informed and is perfectly happy in their little echo chamber and getting their "news" from a single, terrible source (insert any number of mainstream news outlets here)? Seeing constant, abusive, and un-informed posts from Firimei is nothing new but seeing people like you post the above is pretty disheartening.

If you can agree with the assumption that a well-informed electorate is a prerequisite for a democracy, it really isn't a surprise that we are where we are. Yes, the systematic collapse of reliable fact is definitely a key issue here but the breakdown of acceptable political discussion and debate in social settings has to be another large factor. I've seen more people leave dinner tables or events due to political arguments in the past year than in my entire life.

Arkan

Postby Arkan » Wed May 23, 2018 4:42 pm

For clarification, I mean Republicans have happily removed themselves from the things I do, like get a graduate degree or do environmental work. So I'm not referring to people who are my friends, I'm referring to people who aren't because there are so few Republicans available to make friends with. So yes, I have to actively go out of my way and do stuff to seek out the Republicans, and I chose to be insulting, if somewhat accurate, that racist events might be a proper venue. After all, Trump has shown support for such things. My rare Republican friends from long ago are still doing what they do.

Aishana

Postby Aishana » Wed May 23, 2018 4:57 pm

You might consider that when you disparage anyone politically right of center as an uneducated Klansman they might not be interested in pointing out their political stances in your presence. Even in a solid blue state like California a large percentage of the population is still conservative. If you don't know any republicans it's because the environment is so toxic nobody would bother telling you, not because they aren't there.

Return to “Player's Lounge”