Two Years of Trump

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Aishana

Re: One Year of Trump

Postby Aishana » Sat May 26, 2018 2:02 am

Typical liberal elitist bullshit. Who would have thought that an institution run largely by increasingly radical left wingers would be churning out more of the same? I went to a state school in a moderate state during Obama's first election and even back then almost every one of my professors was far left of center and openly so. I'm pretty sure my my social "sciences" professor was a communist propagandist first and US history professor second. Higher education has chased out any free thought for anyone right of Bernie Sanders. They exist more to indoctrinate than educate at this point. Shockingly, they turn out liberals.

It's easier to just point at statistics like that and just say "See, we are all just smarter than you basket of deplorables and you should listen to us", though. And it's exactly why Hillary lost to someone who should have been able to be beaten by literally almost any decent reasonable candidate by any measure, and Democrats are doubling down on that same idiocracy. Good luck in November.

Enok

Postby Enok » Sat May 26, 2018 2:29 am

And saying that colleges just "churn out more of the same" is a factual statement in your book?

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/07/well ... rents.html

http://news.gallup.com/poll/14515/teens ... tives.aspx

Most people vote like their parents and their friends. Common knowledge in most developed countries.

That is probably the only reason why the republican party still has a chance. That and the fact that many voters just don't care about politics enough to understand that Obamacare and the ACA is one and the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx2scvIFGjE

I also love how liberals are "elitist" in your world. The top 1% controls more wealth than ever, votes overwhelmingly republican and more or less buys elections and that's stickin' up for Joe Plumber? That's not "the elite"? If I vote to improve the life of someone worse off than myself, part of it may include raising taxes on myself, does that make me elitist?

Getting a masters in psychology makes me more qualified to explain the inner workings of the human mind. That's not elitist. It's science.

Getting an engineering degree makes me more qualified to build bridges. Is that elitist? Should I let a Walmart worker who excelled in building Lego bridges do the honors because it's elitist to worry about strength in materials?

Republicans have managed to convince enough people that they're middle class when in reality they're living paycheck to paycheck, barely scraping by.

Benito

Postby Benito » Sat May 26, 2018 4:24 am

Aishana wrote:Typical liberal elitist bullshit. Who would have thought that an institution run largely by increasingly radical left wingers would be churning out more of the same? I went to a state school in a moderate state during Obama's first election and even back then almost every one of my professors was far left of center and openly so. I'm pretty sure my my social "sciences" professor was a communist propagandist first and US history professor second. Higher education has chased out any free thought for anyone right of Bernie Sanders. They exist more to indoctrinate than educate at this point. Shockingly, they turn out liberals.

It's kind of funny. Liberal teachers are totally pessimistic about the possibility of changing anyone's point of view, and conservatives are totally paranoid about indoctrination. It's nice that our enemies have faith in us at least!

But higher education isn't about "free" thinking, it's about disciplined and disciplinary thinking--as you know very well. No one "free thinks" their way through an anatomy or accounting or marine biology class. In a similar way, you don't get to "free think" your way through a history or literature class. My primary priority teaching isn't getting someone to parrot my own ideologies back to me, it's getting them to engage in a disciplined manner with whatever it is we're studying. "Marx was right" and "Marx was wrong" are equally banal and unproductive responses to The Communist Manifesto.

However liberal faculty are, universities are run largely by conservative administrators and conservative boards that want to treat education like a business and narrow the difference between private and public schools. I wish they were run by radical left wingers!

Firimei Lang

Postby Firimei Lang » Sat May 26, 2018 6:04 am

Enok wrote:And saying that colleges just "churn out more of the same" is a factual statement in your book?

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/07/well ... rents.html

http://news.gallup.com/poll/14515/teens ... tives.aspx

Most people vote like their parents and their friends. Common knowledge in most developed countries.

That is probably the only reason why the republican party still has a chance. That and the fact that many voters just don't care about politics enough to understand that Obamacare and the ACA is one and the same.

Trump is hardly what you call a politician is he. He relies on Fox 'news' for pity sake and every-time he opens that garbage hole, his supporters applaud like idiotic puppets. They don't care , about politics or anything deeper than 'He says it as it is' - meaning in a dumbed down pathetic [ well I say dumbed down, he just speaks] way so they can understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx2scvIFGjE

I also love how liberals are "elitist" in your world. The top 1% controls more wealth than ever, votes overwhelmingly republican and more or less buys elections and that's stickin' up for Joe Plumber? That's not "the elite"? If I vote to improve the life of someone worse off than myself, part of it may include raising taxes on myself, does that make me elitist?

Getting a masters in psychology makes me more qualified to explain the inner workings of the human mind. That's not elitist. It's science.

Getting an engineering degree makes me more qualified to build bridges. Is that elitist? Should I let a Walmart worker who excelled in building Lego bridges do the honors because it's elitist to worry about strength in materials?

Republicans have managed to convince enough people that they're middle class when in reality they're living paycheck to paycheck, barely scraping by.

Arkan

Postby Arkan » Sat May 26, 2018 8:22 am

Aishana wrote:Typical liberal elitist bullshit. Who would have thought that an institution run largely by increasingly radical left wingers would be churning out more of the same? I went to a state school in a moderate state during Obama's first election and even back then almost every one of my professors was far left of center and openly so. I'm pretty sure my my social "sciences" professor was a communist propagandist first and US history professor second. Higher education has chased out any free thought for anyone right of Bernie Sanders. They exist more to indoctrinate than educate at this point. Shockingly, they turn out liberals.

It's easier to just point at statistics like that and just say "See, we are all just smarter than you basket of deplorables and you should listen to us", though. And it's exactly why Hillary lost to someone who should have been able to be beaten by literally almost any decent reasonable candidate by any measure, and Democrats are doubling down on that same idiocracy. Good luck in November.

It's easy to point at posts like this and say "See, we are all just smarter than you basket of deplorables." Republicans media is 99% propaganda, so anytime you see a fact you don't like, you assume it has to be exactly that.

Jaster

Postby Jaster » Sat May 26, 2018 11:12 am

Arkan wrote:http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/education-not-income-predicted-who-would-vote-for-trump/

It's a long-known fact that became even more prevalent with Trump than the last few elections. As you increase in education, partisan representation becomes more and more skewed. That's why Republicans spend so much effort attacking higher education. Hell, I've been repeatedly told that my degrees make me less qualified to talk about their subject matter than if I had no degree.

And let's face it, it's hard to have an education and think a hiring freeze is going to be a good thing, esp when the government has already demonstrated it costs us money. Or to think climate change is a Chinese hoax. Or to think we can just win any trade war we start. Or that the largest crowd ever attended Trump's inauguration. Or that Trump had one of the largest electoral college victories. Ok, the last two you don't even need an education past the first grade. Not only do you have to be insanely dumb to think either of those things, but you should probably be committed for supporting the guy who brags about those. There's a good reason the science marches are anti-Trump.

I think you are sadly mistaken, if receiving a piece of paper from a learning institute is your ideal measure of "highly educated". You may be educated in some of the areas you studied, but that would predominantly put you as educated in a category. Until you actually put that "education" to use and are successful in executing what you've learned, you are merely just "educated" by whichever measurables your institute deemed passable. With your degree, it may help you achieve success in your field, but it does not make or rank you any smarter/more educated than the person next to you in totality. There are many people who have a wealth of education and are self educated that do not have a degree to show for it. They went into the field of work they desired and hit the ground running as an apprentice or the likes. Many of these individuals are well versed in many areas of study because they had the drive to be successful in more than one field(Providing for their family might depend on it). So I would scale back on the premise that a degree from a school is the end all be all of who can be considered highly educated or furthermore your only real measure of how educated you think you are. I could drop you in the middle of no where with nothing and you might not even survive a day(Would be a shame with that degree and all), while someone without a degree I can do the same and he/she would be just fine and live to see another day. Should I rank you stupid or no longer "highly educated" because of it?

The only well known fact of this thread and in society currently is that each side will argue their points to the end regardless. There is no middle ground or attempt to compromise. Trump could cure cancer and he would be demonized by the left for single handedly ruining hospitals cashflow, funeral homes business, and population control. Trump could call the members of the KKK good people and the right would say whatever to make it ok. Ironically, He called some people that were possibly KKK racist members at that rally in Charlottesville good people and got destroyed by the left. He calls MS13 racist members animals and got destroyed from the left because they are "people" too and have feelings. Which one is it?

Enok

Postby Enok » Sat May 26, 2018 11:35 am

Jaster, you are probably a great person by most metrics, but you make it sound like every skilled worker is Macgyver while anyone with a college degree is Sheldon from that show that everyone watches for the girl.

Jaster

Postby Jaster » Sat May 26, 2018 11:40 am

I was merely stating that the piece of paper doesn’t grant you superiority over someone who chooses not to go to college. While I only cited a basic example of why, it doesn’t mean everyone with a degree is a baffoon and those with trade skills are mastermind agents ;)
It just means we shouldn’t be judging those with aposing viewpoints by the metric of which you think your education may rank over theirs.

Arkan

Postby Arkan » Sat May 26, 2018 12:12 pm

Conservatives actually love to brag about their Ivy League degrees then bitch and call them worthless when other people have them. Take Trump as a perfect example.

If degrees are meaningless, then don't go to a doctor. You argue that a doctor has no more intelligence than anyone else unless he/she is employed as a doctor. Guess you shouldn't vote for any members of Congress who were trained doctors (there are several). In fact, you should vote only for politicians who specifically trained to be politicians. There are a lot of kinds of idiots out there, including some doctors, but if you're pretending that you're smarter than them just because you're hypothetically an auto mechanic, then you're about as stupid as people come. FYI, being an auto mechanic is pretty easy.

No a piece of paper doesn't make you smarter, but the effort to get it actually does. You can be smart without that piece of paper, but you would also be smarter if you also get that piece of paper. If you think averages say that the Left and Right are equally intelligent, but the Left goes through the effort to gain an education, then the Right actually is going to be dumber. The Conservative argument to demonize higher education is just an attempt to feel good about being morons. When half your policy revolves around giving money to the rich, you have to focus on also being pretty stupid.

Trump actually keeps trying to cut cancer funding, so stop trying that stupid argument that he might cure cancer and we'd hate him. We hate him because WE are trying to cure cancer and he is trying to stop us.

Trump didn't call MS13 animals until he decided to do damage control later after his rant.

Octavio

Postby Octavio » Sat May 26, 2018 12:33 pm

Return to “Player's Lounge”