One Year of Trump

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Enok

Re: One Year of Trump

Postby Enok » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:24 am

Yeah. We didn't have a #metoo thread here from what I can remember, but I still want to share a perspective that I only just recalled the other day. When I was in college (getting my degree in education and Phys. ed.) one of my classmates was one of those girl-next-door kind of girls who was pretty much gorgeous in every way. Wonderful personality, a sense of humor, stunningly beautiful and loved sports (!). She just happened to be an accomplished gymnast too. Let's call her Betty from here on. Obviously Betty wasn't single, and she quickly became "one of the boys" so to speak. Our group consisted of like 15 guys and 4 girls and we had a good time together, mastering all kinds of sports and activities (this is how training to be phys ed-teacher in Sweden works. We study sports and learn how to practice many of them). Being in Sweden, gender equality was always a topic of discussion throughout our time in college and while Betty and I didn't always agree on everything, there was always respect.

During winter sports training we spent a week in the mountains doing downhill skiing and whatnot. One night the group decided to go out for drinks n' dancing. Good times were had. The next morning a few of us were sitting down for breakfast, talking about something related to parties and girlfriends/boyfriends (none of which were present) when Betty just out of the blue described how boys are always touching her ass whenever she goes out. Not in an innocent, moving-past-her-accidental-graze kind of way, but solid ass-grabs. Betty also shared that this happened last night and that two of the guys in our group routinely grab her ass and wink to her when they're ever at the same bar. Kinda like "hey, how are YOU doin'", but with a drunken, sloppy kind of ring to it. Her sad, angry look told us that this wasn't something she wanted to talk about, but more of a statement about how some guys are jerks. Actually, more than some.

We cut those guys out of our circle once we'd heard about it and come to think of it, we didn't hang out with those two outside of school anymore for the remaining year. We parted ways when I moved on to get my English degree and I haven't spoken to anyone about this since. Seeing Betty that morning changed me though. I felt her anger and it pisses me off that anyone should have to feel so helpless and objectified. It's weird though, how some of us men feel intimidated by the eventuality of a wrongful harassment charge while some women are literally expecting to be groped every day of the year and having to cope with it. I understand the feeling, Jestin, but, as someone pointed out, the instances of women making false accusations against men are so few it's almost laughable. Enjoy your productive employee for the work she does and make a point of discussing workplace behaviour once in a while to keep people up-to-date on your stance. Women AND men will thank you for it.

Raeza

Postby Raeza » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:09 am

Jestin wrote:However I do feel guilty because it's basically another type of discrimination. For example, one of our female employees is really awesome. Super smart, great team work, is always working late hours, etc. A lot of times it's just me and her staying late. I see that she could really benefit from some close mentorship. If she was a guy, I would be so much more likely to be doing late meetings with her one on one and a lot of other intangibles that could really help her career.

I find this thought fascinating, and while I certainly don't think it is the right way to think about things, I can sort of see how someone might feel that way.

But, there should be no reason that you cannot have a 'close mentorship' with her, as long as 'close mentorship' does not involve anything like the following (as examples):
  • Inviting her into your office at odd times and closing the door, shutting the blinds, etc.
  • Talking about her body, the way she looks, the way she dresses, etc.
  • Touching her shoulders or anywhere else, except for maybe a handshake
  • Staring at parts of her body that are not her face
  • Talking about your sex life, or any other topics not appropriate for a work setting, or asking about her personal life
  • Asking her to meet you privately somewhere outside of work settings (something that sounds like a date)
And so on...

I mean, behaviours like these have no place in a professional relationship with someone. So, unless you feel like you cannot act appropriately and maintain a purely professional relationship with this person, I don't see why you cannot offer mentorship, even one-on-one mentorship.

Arkan

Postby Arkan » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:29 am

If you haven't seen, it's pretty interesting
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... e=Homepage

isabel

Postby isabel » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:05 am

Was hard for me to read what you wrote Jestin, but I really appreciate the honesty.

I think that it's not about expecting yourself to be "perfect" but about being up front that you might do something that might make her uncomfortable - simply because you aren't tuned in to her reality which you haven't experienced - and you are on board with learning from that without taking it personally or making it a big deal. It's not always a "comfortable" place to be in because none of us want to offend people - but we aren't going to be able to work with someone different unless we sign up for a little bit of discomfort from our end.

I was working with someone in a wheelchair once and she told me upfront how she refers to her disability, how it's completely okay for me to ask questions, whatever I was feeling uncomfortable about. It was intensely awkward for me initially because I was so mortified in advance about saying the wrong thing and she is so brilliant and I did not want to screw the project up. In your case as an employer I can understand the stakes are high, but working through this will make your company a place where an employee being female will not stand in the way of her attaining her maximum potential under your mentorship.

Roadeur

Postby Roadeur » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:16 am

Arkan wrote:If you haven't seen, it's pretty interesting
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... e=Homepage

Hefty but fascinating thanks!

Treach

Postby Treach » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:27 pm

Lord Pe wrote:You mean to say President Trump. Even though I didn't like mr. Obama when he was president I still called him President Obama. As far as to whatever allegation you're trying to make you just said he's making millions off of something which would equate to him $0.20 in our money something like that when you have more money than God Millions don't really matter anymore. You shot yourself in the foot with your own thesis that he needs to make money off of something.

I would love to know what Lord Pe thinks of the NYT article :P

Dori

Postby Dori » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:15 pm

Treach wrote:
Lord Pe wrote:You mean to say President Trump. Even though I didn't like mr. Obama when he was president I still called him President Obama. As far as to whatever allegation you're trying to make you just said he's making millions off of something which would equate to him $0.20 in our money something like that when you have more money than God Millions don't really matter anymore. You shot yourself in the foot with your own thesis that he needs to make money off of something.

I would love to know what Lord Pe thinks of the NYT article :P

A good attempt to get the president to want to sue the times to get the case to require tax documents produced to refute it? Secondarily I believe the allegations were dated back to when Donald Trump was 3yrs old? The claim is mainly against the father in this case due to the age of Trump.

Arkan

Postby Arkan » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:27 pm

Yes, the 200k salary when Donald was 3 was not his fault, but most of that money was.

Here is another really interesting one about Trump's "wealth."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/ ... 6837b8e7c8

Benito

Postby Benito » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:36 pm

Dori wrote:Secondarily I believe the allegations were dated back to when Donald Trump was 3yrs old? The claim is mainly against the father in this case due to the age of Trump.

This can't really be maintained after reading the article. The money funneling began when Trump was young - and continued until his father died. It's a very long article, but here's the gist:
Here is what can be said with certainty: Had Mr. Trump done nothing but invest the money his father gave him in an index fund that tracks the Standard & Poor’s 500, he would be worth $1.96 billion today. As for that $1 million loan, Fred Trump actually lent him at least $60.7 million, or $140 million in today’s dollars, The Times found.

To me there are three important aspects of the article:

1. It continues to degrade Trump's mythology of himself as a self-made man

2. It demonstrates what anyone paying attention already knew: Trump is a bad businessman. The disaster of Trump's career is something I've never seen conservatives try to respond to. There were already documented examples of Fred Trump bailing out Donald's failing businesses. This adds to those examples. As one large example, Trump's sale of his father's empire: "Donald Trump, master dealmaker, sold his father’s empire for hundreds of millions less than it was worth."

3. Tax dodging for decades, on the part of Donald Trump and the entire family, to the order of hundreds of millions of dollars. Primarily, this happened through complicated means of avoiding estate and gift taxes: "In the end, the transfer of the Trump empire cost Fred and Mary Trump $20.5 million in gift taxes and their children $21 million in annuity payments. That is hundreds of millions of dollars less than they would have paid based on the empire’s market value"

Treach

Postby Treach » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:21 am

My favorite part is that Trump tried to rewrite the will and his father had to stop him. If you are richer than god and don't need more money then why do you need to try and steal from your family :lol:

Return to “Player's Lounge”