Two Years of Trump

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Curtis

Re: One Year of Trump

Postby Curtis » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:41 pm

Everything I Needed to Know in Life I Learned from WotMud

Chapter 2: The Vocal Majority is Almost Always WRONG

Benito

Postby Benito » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:09 pm

Maegon wrote:This was probably one of the tougher initiative cycles that I've had to vote on. Honestly voted no to I-1631, despite knowing that oil companies made up the majority of the counter argument, because it sounded like a the bill wasn't fully planned out. .

Yeah, I think it will be close but that 1631 probably won't pass. I voted against the initiative two years ago because I thought it was sloppy - and it sounds like there's a good amount of liberals and leftists who feel the same about this year's. I get people are concerned they may be paying more for energy, but it's only going to be worse the longer we wait. Climate change legislation may just be something that has to happen nationally before it can happen locally, and sadly it might take a massive disaster for us to get there.

Maegon

Postby Maegon » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:27 pm

You would think most westsiders would understand waiting until too late after the Sound Transit costs and dealing with our never ending traffic. Hopefully legislators will take the feedback and tighten up the plan next time. I'm not convinced a natural disaster will shift the national conversation. How much have we spent this year on hurricane and wild fire relief without a change in dialog?

On another note, I didn't realize the spending on this initiative either. It's kind of crazy how disproportionate this stuff can be. We ended up voting no on the measure due to slower enacting speed at the state level and not wanting to shoehorn eastsiders into our snowflake experiments, but I do wonder how much disinformation/fear mongering effected this.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... rocery-tax

Curtis

Postby Curtis » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:29 pm

Meshi

Postby Meshi » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:03 am

The sad thing is that I used to argue politics with Americans back when Bush was in power.

First of all, arguing about politics on a discussion forum is pretty much the definition of wasting your time (even over playing MUDs)

Secondly, Trump has made your country's politics so toxic that as some people (and Trump himself) have alluded to, I reject the politically correct attitude of trying to engage. I have never had any interest to go to America, Americans who I meet in other countries can either disavow Trump and prove that they are educated/sane or they can go do something to themselves.

And yes, it's a much saner policy than trying to engage with people who have such a weird political system which they put so much faith in

Benito

Re: Two Years of Trump

Postby Benito » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:55 pm

Another report on climate change, this time on economic costs to the States. If nothing else, the Trump years are useful for exploding the idea that Republican politicians care at all about the economy, balanced budgets, debt, and fiscal responsibility.

A major scientific report issued by 13 federal agencies on Friday presents the starkest warnings to date of the consequences of climate change for the United States, predicting that if significant steps are not taken to rein in global warming, the damage will knock as much as 10 percent off the size of the American economy by century’s end...The report puts the most precise price tags to date on the cost to the United States economy of projected climate impacts: $141 billion from heat-related deaths, $118 billion from sea level rise and $32 billion from infrastructure damage by the end of the century, among others.

Edit to note that the next lucky commenter gets that coveted 666 post.

Erulisse

Postby Erulisse » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:16 am

Trump

Reyne

Postby Reyne » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:46 pm

Well regular people can't afford to buy cars as much as they used to and so amid slowing sales and rising costs of production due to tariffs, GM is shuttering some factories and removing some product lines altogether. ~14,000 jobs will be lost. Also, GM posted profits of around $6 billion this last year and received a $600 million tax break from the federal government. Nothing, unfortunately, that wasn't foreseen when the GOP was touting its tax breaks for the rich.

https://apnews.com/70498f1fe7af463284c3706b65032cf6

The number of farms filing for bankruptcy is increasing across the Upper Midwest, a new analysis finds.

84 farms filed for bankruptcy in WI, MN, ND, SD, MT in the 12 months ending in June, more than double the number over the same period in '13 and '14.

Are we winning yet?

Erulisse

Postby Erulisse » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:02 am

If the dems had any spine at all they would pass a heap of bills in the house that were just wildly ambitious. Universal health care, forgive college debt, tax increases on big business, raise the minimum wage, national legalization of pot. Just go absolutely hog wild, knowing that they wont make it past the senate. Build up a ton of popular support among their base and just cry 'look at all we could have accomplished' vote for us 2020! Then when the win the can go back to being the milquetoast pretend liberals they are and collect their corporate money.

Enok

Postby Enok » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:59 am

Erulisse wrote:Then when the win the can go back to being the milquetoast pretend liberals they are and collect their corporate money.

Hey! That's an illegal hoax!

Return to “Player's Lounge”