Two Years of Trump

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Maghus

Re: Two Years of Trump

Postby Maghus » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:50 am

q
Last edited by Maghus on Wed May 01, 2019 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Curtis

Postby Curtis » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:49 pm

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!?!?

Astolfo

Postby Astolfo » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:55 am

Curtis wrote:ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!?!?

:o

Maghus

Postby Maghus » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:39 am

q
Last edited by Maghus on Wed May 01, 2019 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rig

Postby Rig » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:44 pm

Shameless bump, who here watched the Cohen testimony!? Let us hear your thoughts!

Naomi

Postby Naomi » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:52 pm

Rig wrote:Shameless bump, who here watched the Cohen testimony!? Let us hear your thoughts!

Only thing I'm interested in is this tidbit:

"Is there any other wrongdoing or illegal act that you are aware of regarding Donald Trump that we haven't yet discussed today?" Democrat Raja Krishnamoorthi of Illinois asked Cohen, in the middle of the seven-and-and-a-half hour hearing full of stunning, ugly allegations.

Cohen replied: "Yes and again those are a part of the investigation that's currently being looked at by the Southern District of New York."

Benito

Postby Benito » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:18 am

I was in and out listening to the testimony, probably caught an hour and a half and then some highlight reels.

The Republican strategy was weird. They all repeated each other saying Cohen is a liar, so how can he be trusted? The irony is that by reaffirming his crimes, they're reaffirming that he committed crimes on behalf of Trump. Cohen himself also pointed out how odd it is that the Republicans asked no substantive questions regarding why Cohen was brought there, just questions attempting to discredit him--and that they have no problem with the 9000 or so public lies from Trump since he took office. In effect, they let Democrats control Cohen's testimony.

Another genius move from the Republicans was accusing Cohen of hiding evidence...in boxes that had already been taken and returned by investigators. Nothing substantive or useful, except for a Midwest representative whose name is escaping me right now.

Is there really anyone that doesn't believe what Cohen's been saying, or thinks he has incentive to lie to Congress again? Why risk additional trials?

In fact, Cohen passed up many opportunities where he could have speculated or cast more condemning judgments of Trump. Notably, when he was asked what Trump fears most and when he was asked about a tape in which Trump allegedly hit Melania in an elevator. Cohen said he can't imagine Trump doing so, and doesn't believe the tape exists.

Not really in regards to the testimony, but I love seeing conservative men lose their shit over AOC. It's a bizarre fixation.

Vaen

Postby Vaen » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:53 am

Work finally slowed down enough just in time for me to at least listen to most of it yesterday.

Benito wrote:The Republican strategy was weird. They all repeated each other saying Cohen is a liar, so how can he be trusted? The irony is that by reaffirming his crimes, they're reaffirming that he committed crimes on behalf of Trump.

The more absurd part is that they kept accusing him of being there to lower his sentencing. If he was there to do that, he would have even fewer reasons to lie, since a cooperation agreement (which Michael Cohen does not have with SDNY right now) typically require substantive outcomes as a part of the deal. As in, he would have to not only tell the truth, but the truth would need to be corroborated into actual outcomes. So for him to concurrently be a liar who's there just to smear Trump and also be a guy who is there to lower his sentence is nonsense.

Cohen himself also pointed out how odd it is that the Republicans asked no substantive questions regarding why Cohen was brought there, just questions attempting to discredit him--and that they have no problem with the 9000 or so public lies from Trump since he took office. In effect, they let Democrats control Cohen's testimony.

And they controlled it extremely well. If the intent was political theatrics, they could have addressed Cohen as Michael Cohen, ex-Deputy Finance Chairman of the Republican National Committee, at every turn. They didn't. They were focused and opened up about 15 new lines of inquiry.

Another genius move from the Republicans was accusing Cohen of hiding evidence...in boxes that had already been taken and returned by investigators. Nothing substantive or useful, except for a Midwest representative whose name is escaping me right now.

The book-deal stuff was pretty amusing too. As if nothing makes more sense for someone who is already recognized, than testifying before a House Committee. Let's also not forget that idiot birther Mark Meadows' "can't be racist, have black friends" moment. Like, Strom Thurmond had a black mistress, that doesn't mean he wasn't the same racist asshole who filibustered the Civil Rights Act for 24 hours.

Incidentally, since that woman is a HUD official, he probably caused her to commit a Hatch Act violation. Add it to the pile.

In fact, Cohen passed up many opportunities where he could have speculated or cast more condemning judgments of Trump. Notably, when he was asked what Trump fears most and when he was asked about a tape in which Trump allegedly hit Melania in an elevator. Cohen said he can't imagine Trump doing so, and doesn't believe the tape exists.

The ability to stick to exactly what you know without embellishing, speculating, and/or grinding an ax is precisely what prosecutors look for in reliable witnesses.

Not really in regards to the testimony, but I love seeing conservative men lose their shit over AOC. It's a bizarre fixation.

Ro Khanna and AOC were both pretty efficient and impressive with their time. I was/am skeptical about how well thought out the GND is, even as a resolution, but it's pretty obvious why the GOP is OBSESSED with her.

I think the only part that came across as bullshit was Cohen citing the dialogue as why he turned. Like, no, that's not the reason - the reason is that you were caught and essentially have zero options that actually benefit you, but the truth can only help and more lies can only hurt.

PS - Shout out to the idiots claiming "Trump did peace with North Korea" a few months back.

Treach

Postby Treach » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:43 am

The thing I was most shocked at was that AOC actually yielded back time. It changes my impression of her from talkative/impulsive to more organised and professional.

The thing I found funniest was the Republican saying that today was the first time he had heard about Michael Cohen lol. I know it was just an insult but it is so dumb considering he was the President's personal attorney and had a job at the RNC.

The thing I liked the most was the democrat formally asking for an investigation into Matt Gaetz's tweets. I think it was Seth Meyers who said that even mobsters would think that was crossing the line, mentioning your wife cheating while you were in jail...

Enok

Postby Enok » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:09 am

Besides all of the usual bickering back and forth (Meadows almost lost his shit a few times which I thoroughly enjoyed), I actually smiled when Cohen grew agitated and went on with his classic New York tough guy accent and tone. It honestly sounded like a movie character and I could easily imagine him being a total asshole, threatening people left and right. Imagine the shit he's done for Trump over the years, and Imagine how much of an asshole Trump must be to hire someone like Cohen to do his dirty work.

Vaen wrote:I think the only part that came across as bullshit was Cohen citing the dialogue as why he turned. Like, no, that's not the reason - the reason is that you were caught and essentially have zero options that actually benefit you, but the truth can only help and more lies can only hurt.

This. He's a douchebag, but he's "our" douchebag now.

Return to “Player's Lounge”