One Year of Trump

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Jestin

Re: One Year of Trump

Postby Jestin » Sat May 26, 2018 2:57 pm

Well the obvious answer to your question is that both sides would need to agree on a candidate that maybe neither side is super happy about but can live with.

Honestly when it comes to Trump it seems to me that most people have taken exactly the wrong approach (for justified though very counterproductive reasons). I honestly wonder if the Democrats started a Trump fan club that just sucks up to him all the time if he would bend over backwards to appease them. I think the guy just wants some respect and flattery, he doesn't really care about sticking to any issue. Usually those types of people are pretty easy to deal with, just need to flatter them beyond belief and they will do what you want. Or at least compromise a lot easier.

Arkan

Postby Arkan » Sat May 26, 2018 3:27 pm

Flattery has definitely been shown to work with Trump, but only in the short term. Trump still readily fires his brown-nosers and he still started a trade war with China even after they essentially paid him off financially as well as with flattery. And he keeps going after Obama-specific policies, and I don't even know of Obama attacking him. He started his anti-Obama tweets nearly a decade ago. Maybe it's possible that if the Dems only responded to Trump's attacks and reversals with more flattery, every time, then... maybe. But it still wouldn't work for more than a year because the Presidential primaries are coming up and there will be no sucking up to Trump then.

And regarding the Supreme Court pick, I believe it was Lindsay Graham who said about Obama's previous pick, that he should have picked Garland, as he was a more moderate choice. But when Obama did... nope!

Jestin

Postby Jestin » Sat May 26, 2018 4:11 pm

I just wonder if there's an opportunity for Democrats to come together in a cohesive strategy to consistently and repeatedly tell Trump what he wants to hear while systematically pushing for more moderate agenda and compromise. I honestly believe Trump would be open to it as long as you kept up the flattery consistently and convinced him that the compromises would be perceived as his wins. Trump's all about his ego, just need to keep stroking it.

But this is obviously a tough task - to rally your base around flattering a man that you all detest. But could you do it for the good of the country? In a way that was never possible on the Republican side with Obama (because he's a much smarter man than Trump, because the Republican voter base could never truly embrace a black president, because oh so many reasons).
Last edited by Jestin on Sat May 26, 2018 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rig

Postby Rig » Sat May 26, 2018 4:14 pm

I made my own piece of paper that says I'm the smartest man in the world.

Arkan

Postby Arkan » Sat May 26, 2018 4:37 pm

To Jestin. At best, I think it would have to be for a 2nd term, since then no one would ever be running against him. But the problem there would be the polls and coattails. Everyone would have to be in on the trick, because you wouldn't want his popularity, and therefore his party's stature, to rise as a result of the constant flattery. We've seen plenty of people who think Moon praised Trump just cause Trump is apparently so great. But if you ignore future elections, yes, I think most Dems could do it. Plenty of Dems said they would happily work with Trump after his election, back when no one had a clue what his policy would really be like. And we have quite a few moderates, esp in the Senate. Typically I think we're the pragmatic party. Even picking Obama over Hillary in '08 was still not so much an idealist move, but picking one moderate over another.

You'd also really need Fox and Friends to be ok with it.

nalav

Postby nalav » Sat May 26, 2018 6:20 pm

The trade war is just retaliation for accusations that Trump fed the fish improperly while visiting China.

Maegon

Postby Maegon » Sat May 26, 2018 7:45 pm

You mean the Koi fish in Japan? I find it hilarious that "Liberal Elitism" is a thing. I grew up a republican through Obama's first term, and during his campaign, we said Democrats were nothing but stupid, poor people or black. Now, Democrats are hoity-toity edumacated people and Republican are poor red necks? Lul. There are stupid people incapable of developing supported arguments on both sides. The stupid is just more obvious on the Right now, because they're the ones in power saying stupid shit.

Rig

Postby Rig » Sat May 26, 2018 11:07 pm

In the process of obtaining my Animal Science Degree,
I'm going to be smarter than all of you soon.

byrg

Postby byrg » Sun May 27, 2018 1:33 am

Rig wrote:In the process of obtaining my Animal Science Degree,
I'm going to be smarter than all of you soon.

Please make sure you have an emphasis on llamas.

Maghus

Postby Maghus » Sun May 27, 2018 5:00 am

Praying... And Hoping... And daydreaming... And masturbating... to the idea of trump failing his job...

Is the same as HOPING YOUR PILOT ON AN AIRPLANE FAILS HIS JOBS AND CRASHES.

Return to “Player's Lounge”