One Year of Trump

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
damena

Re: One Year of Trump

Postby damena » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:16 pm

It's a multifaceted problem, and putting the blame on just one thing or another is not getting us anywhere near a solution. A lot of people feel disenfranchised in the United States. This may be because they actually don't have the right to vote but it could also come from a feeling of not being represented by their elected officials. The two parties have become, as Sebastian Junger put it, cartels which control the political system. They prevent the voices of third party officials from rising up. They also have a huge stake in keeping themselves in power. The Citizens United decision was a bane to our country, given that now money = speech, therefore more money = more speech. The news media have also had a fair part to play in it. The push for ratings has sensationalized news. Instead of reporting facts (even from a biased perspective), they report so much commentary and outrage. I have personally mostly unplugged from the news because I'm tired of feeling scared and worried all of the time. It's probably not as bad as all that.

Additionally, there has been a gutting of our school system. I'm not sure that we're dumber or less educated than we were decades ago, but anecdotally, having a background in teaching, I think teaching to the test has killed rational, creative, and critical thinking. People are used to learning facts and figures so that they can regurgitate them for points on a test. I know this is a broad blanket to put everyone under, and certainly there are tons of people who don't fall into this category, but it genuinely worries me when I see people question objective fact. This goes beyond the political system into science denialism, etc.

We have a lot to work on as a country, and there are a lot of changes that need to be made. Fixing sensationalist news will not be enough. Fixing political parties will not be enough. Re-enfranchising voters will not be enough. Fixing education will not be enough. It's going to take a lot of people tackling a lot of complex issues to get this country back together again. I, for one, would like to see that happen. I would like nothing better than for conservatives and liberals to have productive meetings in Congress to resolve the ills that face our country.

At this point though, we may just be Humpty Dumpty.

(Note: the points presented above were not meant to be an exhaustive list of all of the issues facing the country, just a few I find important.)

Ragyn

Postby Ragyn » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:21 pm

Arkan wrote:Getting rid of a ton of environmental protections, getting rid of public lands, verbally attacking our security forces and intelligence apparatus, insulting our election system, and appointing a bunch of ideologue numskulls are all things I hate, but I do appreciate recognizing the capital as the capital. Not recognizing it for decades has only encouraged the thought that more terrorism will "win" it.

Recognizing Jerusalem as the capital of a an ultra conservative apartheidesque state that has committed countless of atrocities in the name of religion and an on going ethnic cleansing of the people who lived there is a big mistake in my opinion, and likely why it has been put off every year since it was first suggested, both by Eu and the states - and also why the EU haven't followed Trump in this. I realize this is the way a lot of countries has come to be during history, but has always been criticised in hindsight, see the Australian aboriginies/native americans - so seeing it happen in modern times isn't something that should be celebrated or condoned, rather it shouldn't happen at all. But doubt anything will be solved, least of all now that Trump has committed this blunder of international diplomacy. Anyway that whole debate is probably best served in another thread. Hopefully the American folks will just be smart enough to go another way at next election and hopefully elect someone who can do some damage control.

Arkan

Postby Arkan » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:23 pm

Not related remotely to the aborigines or native americans. But regardless, there is no peace process because nothing is ever done because of the fear of making the arabs angry. Putting the embassies in tel aviv didn't work, releasing terrorists in jail didn't work, stopping the building of settlements didn't work, and billions of monetary aid hasn't helped. Any label you try to apply to Israel goes right back at the Palestinians, except without the light definition of ethnic cleansing, you end up with actual attempted genocide. Nothing really changed in the situation by recognizing Jerusalem. The same people protested, the same rockets were fired, and the same terrorists will act as they do. The Palestinians cannot be begged to the negotiating table. So as a "blunder," the overall impact is likely minimal, especially compared to the emptying of the State Department.

Ragyn

Postby Ragyn » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:28 pm

You don't see a similarity between Jewish zionists moving to a country with the backing of first the British/french and later the US, slowly killing/harrassing the population living there to the White man coming to Americas and slowly doing the same to the native population? Find the similarity striking myself. Though I guess some Jewish folks did live there 2000 years ago and apparently they have a book that says it was God who gave them the land.

I guess Egypt should have Sudan etc. back since Ra had decided that the Pharaoh would be the ruler of upper and lower Egypt some 4000 years ago, I'm sure the Sudanese folks won't mind. Wouldn't mind seeing norway/sweden and a large chunk of northern germany returning to Denmark either :p

Ah I'll stop now, don't want to derail thread any more, we can talk about it in game at some point.

Arkan

Postby Arkan » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:17 pm

Except the word "native" does not apply. It ignores the Jews who lived in the area and got booted out and the terrorism that they endured. And I don't mean historically, I mean the same time periods you are referring to. Furthermore, it ignores the large influx of non-Jewish immigrants who are now called "native." If you were an Arab who lived in the area for 2 years, you were labeled a Palestinian by the UN. And of course, if you really look at history, then you really really cannot use the word native unless you use a very poor definition. Even my bedouin professor who claimed to be native, would talk about when his ancestors immigrated to the area.

You may have noted the recent "days of rage." Well, there was also a "day of rage" because an ancient synagogue in the Jewish Quarter of Jerusalem was rebuilt after being destroyed by the war of independence. Protesting that and claiming righteousness is just silly.

But we both dislike Trump, so there's that :-) And his pick to be ambassador to Israel is a major douche.

Mronz

Postby Mronz » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:25 pm

Had no clue I was surrounded by so many anti trumpers, hahaha...Actually like Trump, voted for him, and will again.
1. Even though he can be too... childish on twitter, I love him on twitter. He's not a politition, he's not PC, and he literally is telling us what he thinks, or at least that is what it sounds like.
2. So far, even though his own party is not helping him, he seems to be doing what he told us, or trying.
3. I'm happy, and disagree with Ragyn's "Jerusalem thing is a disgrace ". I'm tired of the world tip-toeing around to not upset the unstable muslims in the Middle East. It has gotten us nothing, and it's time to just kick them, and get it overwith. Basicly like our new doctrine relating to ISIS, just bomb/blow the shit out of them, until they stop hurting people outside their own boarders.
4. I'm against chain migration, and 100% want a marret based immigration system.
5. I fully support banning people from specific countries or... "refugees" from entering my country without extreme vetting.
6. I fully support slamming the door on southern illegal migration, be that a solid wall, a virtual wall, doubling CPB/ICE employees, rushing people through courts, don't care. Want them followed, arrested, and shipped out, or paying taxes, one or the other. I'm tired of people existing within my country who are not paying taxes... All current illegals here, to me, if they have a completely clean criminal record, other than their illegal status, I would grant them immediate citizenship, and ship every other one out immediately.

In conclusion, I'm quite happy with the results so far of my non-politition making it to the whitehouse, and I hope he continues not acting like a professional politition. I hope congress get's their shit together, and backs the reasons we voted the man into office, and we see what happens.

Treach

Postby Treach » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:42 pm

Mronz wrote:.Actually like Trump, voted for him, and will again.

You mention immigration and Twitter. But what about all the other stuff?

Whats your thoughts on his position with the media and how any negative press is fake news?

What about his position on climate change?

What about his health care?

What about net neutrality?

What about the tax cuts?

What about how every international trip he has visited a trump property?

What about his history of laundering russian money?

What about the attacks against the FBI and firing comey and the reports that they want to fire meuller who is investigating it?

What about averaging a golf trip every 1 in 4 days and reportedly watching 4 hrs of TV everyday?

What about all the terrible people he has employed such as Betsy devos?

Maegon

Postby Maegon » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:40 pm

Trump tells it like it is, except when he's lying over half of the time. Being non-PC doesn't make a man great. The rest of this list just makes me sad and reminds me of how sheltered and closed our childhood was.

1. I remember trying to pass a bill in government class that allowed free immigration across a tiny section of the Texas border. We would raise funds by selling hunting licenses to kill mexicans that tried.
2. I remember being taught that we were taxed to give money to poor, lazy black people that did nothing but smoke pot and watch tv.
3. I remember wanting to turn the Middle East into glass, because you would put down those fucking muslims, but still be able to drill for oil later.

Our home lacks empathy and the ability to make sacrifices for long term solutions. You can't just put yourself behind a protectionist wall and hope it works out in 50 years.

Firimei Lang

Postby Firimei Lang » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:08 am

Treach wrote:
Mronz wrote:.Actually like Trump, voted for him, and will again.

You mention immigration and Twitter. But what about all the other stuff?

Whats your thoughts on his position with the media and how any negative press is fake news?

What about his position on climate change?

What about his health care?

What about net neutrality?

What about the tax cuts?

What about how every international trip he has visited a trump property?

What about his history of laundering russian money?

What about the attacks against the FBI and firing comey and the reports that they want to fire meuller who is investigating it?

What about averaging a golf trip every 1 in 4 days and reportedly watching 4 hrs of TV everyday?

What about all the terrible people he has employed such as Betsy devos?

All of this. I had to resist posting , before as words didn't describe my reaction then. Thank you Treach, for putting it together in a far better manner than I.

Arkan

Postby Arkan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:32 am

The guy can't even figure out how to vote.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 06681.html

"An elections board official told the Daily News that ballots from his wife, daughter, and son-in-law also were not counted."

Suddenly I'm really interested in how the Republicans have plans to change the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Return to “Player's Lounge”