Two Years of Trump

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Benito

Re: One Year of Trump

Postby Benito » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:09 pm

Definitely. I wrote it out sloppy, but I think we're in agreement. If the gun ends up shooting anyone....

Mronz

Postby Mronz » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:19 pm

I dislike this statement
"But if you own a gun, it's most likely that gun will end up killing either you, your spouse, or your child.
I'm guessing that is your opinion, not an actual statistic?

I've known one person in my entire life who was killed by a gun they owned, all of the dozens of other individuals have never had any gun related issue.

I also have 0 issue with teachers being paid a bonus if they wish to carry on campus, we pay a bonus for Spanish speaking teachers, why not those willing to die defending their students?

I've always grown up with guns, love shooting them, and look forward to teaching my daughter how to shoot and have fun responsibily with them.

A gun is simply a tool, like a car, or fertilizer, or a kitchen knife. All of these items can be used maliciously, it doesn't make the item itself bad or a problem..

alima

Postby alima » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:25 pm

Guns aren't the problem. Every country has guns. Canada has guns. Canada doesn't have a mass shooting problem.

Gun control is the problem and it's a big one. People are so damn concerned about their rights instead of the fact that my fucking CHILDREN have to be taught how to survive a mass shooting, how to distract him long enough to save other children.

Keep your guns, idgaf. But the laws need to change.

Firimei Lang

Postby Firimei Lang » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:34 pm

I am just in shock at some of this diatribe.

Dimmu

Postby Dimmu » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:43 pm

Vaen

Postby Vaen » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:01 pm

Mronz wrote:I've known one person in my entire life who was killed by a gun they owned, all of the dozens of other individuals have never had any gun related issue.

Jesus fucking christ.

Reyne

Postby Reyne » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:26 pm

Mronz wrote:I dislike this statement
"But if you own a gun, it's most likely that gun will end up killing either you, your spouse, or your child.
I'm guessing that is your opinion, not an actual statistic?

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10. ... 7610396294

Risks and Benefits of a Gun in the Home
David Hemenway, PhD

This article summarizes the scientific literature on the health risks and benefits of having a gun in the home for the gun owner and his/her family. For most contemporary Americans, scientific studies indicate that the health risk of a gun in the home is greater than the benefit. The evidence is overwhelming for the fact that a gun in the home is a risk factor for completed suicide and that gun accidents are most likely to occur in homes with guns. There is compelling evidence that a gun in the home is a risk factor for intimidation and for killing women in their homes. On the benefit side, there are fewer studies, and there is no credible evidence of a deterrent effect of firearms or that a gun in the home reduces the likelihood or severity of injury during an altercation or break-in. Thus, groups such as the American Academy of Pediatrics urge parents not to have guns in the home.

*shrug*

We can have better gun control without getting rid of the 2nd amendment.
Last edited by Reyne on Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mronz

Postby Mronz » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:27 pm

Vaen wrote:
Mronz wrote:I've known one person in my entire life who was killed by a gun they owned, all of the dozens of other individuals have never had any gun related issue.

Jesus fucking christ.

I'm guessing you are anti-gun?
Or you know more than one person who managed to hurt themselves, their wife, or their child with their own weapon?

Mronz

Postby Mronz » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:33 pm

"for the fact that a gun in the home is a risk factor for completed suicide and that gun accidents are most likely to occur in homes with guns. There is"
So...
1. a risk factor for completed suicide...
I'm not worried about people who randomly decide to kill themselves, using a purchased firearm, if you want to commit suicide, you will do it, otherwise you're just wanting attention.
2. Gun accidents are more likely in homes with guns...
Am I the only person to see how... obvious this reads?
How in the world would you have a gun accident in a home, if the home doesn't have a gun? Clearly its more likely to have a gun accident in a home, if said home has a gun... that's sort of intuited.

That would be like a statement... people are more likely to be injured in a car crash... if they own a car, than those who ride a horse.

But, thanks for the link.

Reyne

Postby Reyne » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:38 pm

Mronz wrote:"for the fact that a gun in the home is a risk factor for completed suicide and that gun accidents are most likely to occur in homes with guns. There is"
So...
1. a risk factor for completed suicide...
I'm not worried about people who randomly decide to kill themselves, using a purchased firearm, if you want to commit suicide, you will do it, otherwise you're just wanting attention.
2. Gun accidents are more likely in homes with guns...
Am I the only person to see how... obvious this reads?
How in the world would you have a gun accident in a home, if the home doesn't have a gun? Clearly its more likely to have a gun accident in a home, if said home has a gun... that's sort of intuited.

That would be like a statement... people are more likely to be injured in a car crash... if they own a car, than those who ride a horse.

But, thanks for the link.

I dunno it seemed pretty clear that households with guns are more likely to have a family member injured versus successfully warding off a home invasion or burglary which is the pertinent point no? But whatever if you want to have a gun I think you should be able to have one.

I'm not anti-gun or anything, I just think there are some really dumb laws in this country. As was said plenty of other countries have guns with less problems. Other countries have even had school shooting issues and resolved them (like Germany for example). Mostly I'm just tired of watching the same thing happen over and over and then the same arguments by both extreme sides ("no gun control at all" vs "ban all guns everywhere") get floated while nothing happens. Even more frustrating is that really most people do support some kind of regulatory reform when you talk to them, whether left/right/whatever but the NRA gets their way because they have the corporate dollars to throw around.

Anyway most gun homicides in the USA are cheap handguns in poor neighborhoods but that's a whole economy / war on drugs can of worms politicians don't want to touch with a 20 foot pole.

Return to “Player's Lounge”