One Year of Trump

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Arkan

Re: One Year of Trump

Postby Arkan » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:01 pm

Says the guy totally unconcerned with Trump banking millions off taxpayer-funded vacations.

Lord Pe

Postby Lord Pe » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:22 pm

You mean to say President Trump. Even though I didn't like mr. Obama when he was president I still called him President Obama. As far as to whatever allegation you're trying to make you just said he's making millions off of something which would equate to him $0.20 in our money something like that when you have more money than God Millions don't really matter anymore. You shot yourself in the foot with your own thesis that he needs to make money off of something.

Lord Pe

Postby Lord Pe » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:27 pm

You guys seem to be stuck sniffing each other's farts and telling each other how lovely it smells that's the liberal way pretty much so I didn't expect much more than that. With that I'm officially done with you liberals and replying. Go ahead and take your parting shots at me I know you can't resist. Especially after I told you you are a silly fart sniffer. Just know that you are now attacking someone link dead.

Arkan

Postby Arkan » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:28 pm

Nah, I mean douchebag Trump. He deserves no respect from me. He has done nothing to earn it.

Trump being rich doesn't mean earning more millions is meaningless. We can't afford public education, but we can give millions to him? That's 100% ridiculous. Besides, we all know the only thing Trump loves more than himself is money. Also, we don't know how rich Trump is. He won't release his tax returns because he is neither as rich as he claims, nor terribly honest about how he gets it.

Good, stop replying. Get lost.

Jestin

Postby Jestin » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:26 pm

Am flying around so not much chance to write a detailed response. Again though thanks for the great responses, I learned a lot from a few of your posts and definitely can see the other side now which is what I wanted. Not sure what to think now but it helps to see the other side.

W.r.t. Aira's post really quickly, yes this totally sucks and I at least in our tiny company try to do all of the things you mentioned. However I do feel guilty because it's basically another type of discrimination. For example, one of our female employees is really awesome. Super smart, great team work, is always working late hours, etc. A lot of times it's just me and her staying late. I see that she could really benefit from some close mentorship. If she was a guy, I would be so much more likely to be doing late meetings with her one on one and a lot of other intangibles that could really help her career.

But if I look at cost/benefit it's just not worth the risk to me personally. Just such a shame how things are but I don't really know how to change it even in my own company. Just trying to make the point that at least in my example I don't really "fear" something right now, I just take a look at the landscape, evaluate risk, and act accordingly. And in an environment where there is no sexual harassment going on, I wonder if female employees are being hurt by the latest MeToo stuff, not being helped. In environments where there was/is sexual harassment, obviously MeToo is helping mostly by showing predatory men that there is now a much higher chance of consequences for doing fucked up shit.

Not sure if this makes sense and sorry about the rambling. Didn't have time to write a short post so wrote a long one :)
Last edited by Jestin on Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jestin

Postby Jestin » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:32 pm

Also wanted to mention to whoever gave the example about hiring someone with accusations (even unproven) vs. no accusations that it was a great analogy. I certainly would choose the person without the accusations in a heartbeat and probably not even feel bad about it. Just not worth the risk to go with someone who has an increased chance of this type of crap, even if they are being unfairly accused.

Of course it would suck being the person who was unfairly accused, but from the employer's perspective evaluating risk it would be a no brainer decision.

hasp

Postby hasp » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:36 pm

It is all a sad situation. You honestly never know who to believe any more in politics. While Trump and his team are completely idiotic it is not like everyone on the other side are clean. I still stand by my view of both sides are awful, out for themselves, and only pretend to give a crap about any of us. I am sure there are a few but they are probably scarce.

It is nice to see Jestin, be open to other points of view, something many lack these days.

Treach

Postby Treach » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:05 pm

Jestin wrote:For example, one of our female employees is really awesome. Super smart, great team work, is always working late hours, etc. A lot of times it's just me and her staying late. I see that she could really benefit from some close mentorship

You need to be able to make character judgements as a employer. Does this super smart, great team worker seem like a well adjusted person? If yes then you don't have anything to worry about. Honestly what benefit would there be for that person to try and sue their boss? They are working hard in building their career, you are paying their current paycheck and helping them build skills and experience. You providing mentoring just means they are going to be even more successful and be even happier with their current work place.

Roadeur

Postby Roadeur » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:00 am

Double post.
Last edited by Roadeur on Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roadeur

Postby Roadeur » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:19 am

Jestin wrote:I run a small startup company with 12 employees, some male and some female. I'm honestly getting more and more nervous about female employees. I could not even remotely imagine a scenario where one of my employees could ever feel like he/she was sexually assaulted/harassed by me. But if this type of stuff keeps happening, I could imagine many scenarios where an employee is let go, holds a grudge, and levels false accusations to get back at me. It's really scary to think that so many years of hard work could go down the drain because of a false accusation. No proof, no validity, nothing - just an accusation - and poof! my reputation is gone, job is gone, and I have to go hide under a rock somewhere.

You're describing your reaction to a culture where women feel increasingly empowered to speak up about sexual assault and harassment. The solution here isn't to step away from offering equal opportunities to your workers, it's to not sexually assault or harass someone. You'd be as well to frame your argument as saying "I'm wary of working closely with a young, promising female worker because of my inability to control my desire for sexual harassment," and have a more reasonable approach to the current (hopefully) changing environment. It's been stated here before, but false allegations are incredibly rare. What's happening currently is that (primarily) all those people with allegations they didn't feel empowered to report are now doing so.

Positive change emerging from the empowerment of women to speak up about harassment can only truly be realised if people like you actually work to support it. That means not interpreting the environment as one where somehow it's turned on its head so you're part of a gender living in fear, but showing leadership that encourages a work environment where nobody does.

Return to “Player's Lounge”