Two Years of Trump

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Reyne

Re: One Year of Trump

Postby Reyne » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:45 pm

It's pretty cool and good how there is only one copy of the FBI report for the entire Senate to share and read. Not one per senator. One copy, for the entire Senate. Everyone has an hour to look at it. Voting will likely be in a couple days.

Hahahahaha.

"Undecided Dem Sen Manchin tells reporters he has been "thrown out" of the room where he'd been reading the only copy of the FBI report because it was the "Republicans' turn" to read it. He says he has to come back tomorrow to finish, then will make a decision on Kavanaugh."

Governing a nation in 2018, folks.

Treach

Postby Treach » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:19 pm

That should just be unacceptable and they automatically vote no. I don't understand why they would tolerate that?

Roadeur

Postby Roadeur » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:17 am

Jestin wrote: But if I look at cost/benefit it's just not worth the risk to me personally. Just such a shame how things are but I don't really know how to change it even in my own company. Just trying to make the point that at least in my example I don't really "fear" something right now, I just take a look at the landscape, evaluate risk, and act accordingly. And in an environment where there is no sexual harassment going on, I wonder if female employees are being hurt by the latest MeToo stuff, not being helped. In environments where there was/is sexual harassment, obviously MeToo is helping mostly by showing predatory men that there is now a much higher chance of consequences for doing fucked up shit.

Not sure if this makes sense and sorry about the rambling. Didn't have time to write a short post so wrote a long one :)

Here's a far more eloquent rebuttal of what you're discussing than I could muster - https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/c/trump ... vp-BBNXQnQ

Drakmyr

Postby Drakmyr » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:19 pm

Jestin wrote:Am flying around so not much chance to write a detailed response. Again though thanks for the great responses, I learned a lot from a few of your posts and definitely can see the other side now which is what I wanted. Not sure what to think now but it helps to see the other side.

W.r.t. Aira's post really quickly, yes this totally sucks and I at least in our tiny company try to do all of the things you mentioned. However I do feel guilty because it's basically another type of discrimination. For example, one of our female employees is really awesome. Super smart, great team work, is always working late hours, etc. A lot of times it's just me and her staying late. I see that she could really benefit from some close mentorship. If she was a guy, I would be so much more likely to be doing late meetings with her one on one and a lot of other intangibles that could really help her career.

But if I look at cost/benefit it's just not worth the risk to me personally. Just such a shame how things are but I don't really know how to change it even in my own company. Just trying to make the point that at least in my example I don't really "fear" something right now, I just take a look at the landscape, evaluate risk, and act accordingly. And in an environment where there is no sexual harassment going on, I wonder if female employees are being hurt by the latest MeToo stuff, not being helped. In environments where there was/is sexual harassment, obviously MeToo is helping mostly by showing predatory men that there is now a much higher chance of consequences for doing fucked up shit.

Not sure if this makes sense and sorry about the rambling. Didn't have time to write a short post so wrote a long one :)

At the end of the day it's a risk, and you recognizing this doesn't make you a bad person. Your company and reputation is on the line; not the people responding, they won't pay your bills. Women are people and people can lie, make shit up, and throw tantrums if they don't get their way.

Reyne

Postby Reyne » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:57 pm

Yeah well again according to FBI in 2018 the odds of you being falsely accused of sexual assault are about on par with the odds of someone accusing you of murder out of the blue for no reason. Yeah sure it happens but it isn't likely nor has the rate of false accusations increased.

Besides as a business owner surely you have insurance. That's literally what it is there for.

Vaen

Postby Vaen » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:28 pm

Roadeur wrote:
Jestin wrote: But if I look at cost/benefit it's just not worth the risk to me personally. Just such a shame how things are but I don't really know how to change it even in my own company. Just trying to make the point that at least in my example I don't really "fear" something right now, I just take a look at the landscape, evaluate risk, and act accordingly. And in an environment where there is no sexual harassment going on, I wonder if female employees are being hurt by the latest MeToo stuff, not being helped. In environments where there was/is sexual harassment, obviously MeToo is helping mostly by showing predatory men that there is now a much higher chance of consequences for doing fucked up shit.

Here's a far more eloquent rebuttal of what you're discussing than I could muster - https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/c/trump ... vp-BBNXQnQ

I think your first post actually did a pretty great job.

I'd add that dudes in general (including myself to some degree or another), could stop blaming everything but themselves and "how things are" for hangups like the ones Jestin is describing. The "landscape" consists of several visible cases with allegations in general being extremely rare.

If that's the landscape causing you to treat a person differently based exclusively on her being a woman, maybe some introspection is required instead of blaming "how things are" -- are we more afraid of false accusations or ourselves? The whole idea is to make you think twice about things like Ghost Swayze-ing your intern's keyboard or making "harmless" but completely unnecessary comments or something -- 'should i do that? could that be considered harassment?' and err away from doing that, not removing women from the equation entirely. If that makes you feel uncomfortable, it's just because we dudes got a little too used to not having to think about it at all. If you're already doing this, there's effectively zero difference outside of more accountability if you do happen to fuck up.
Last edited by Vaen on Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Naomi

Postby Naomi » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:32 pm

I know in the Company that I work for, it's a mandatory rule that when men have to discuss anything with women in private, they have to have a third party - usually another woman.

Men also regularly defer to other women in management roles to address dress code with women under their supervision too - the fear there is that if a man tells a woman she's inappropriately dressed that it will cause an issue.

Dunno if this is relevant to Jestins statements, but it's something I've observed in my time here. It used to not be so prevalent, but it seems to be on the upswing.

Treach

Postby Treach » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:56 pm

Reyne wrote:Yeah well again according to FBI in 2018 the odds of you being falsely accused of sexual assault are about on par with the odds of someone accusing you of murder out of the blue for no reason. Yeah sure it happens but it isn't likely nor has the rate of false accusations increased.

And the people that do falsely accuse are typically crazies with disfunctional relationships, bad life situations etc.

Trump and co are just fear mongering. Ford came out with her accusation when kavanaugh was shortlisted. He wasn't even nominated when she first told her story. For it to be a democratic hit job or delaying tactic then they would need a false accuser for each short listed candidate :lol:

Curtis

Postby Curtis » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:11 pm

Too bad about Captain Ramius. However, the Connery version was nowhere near as entertaining.

Enok

Postby Enok » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:42 pm

Congrats, deplorables. I don't know how you keep pulling it off, but it's honestly pretty impressive at this point.

Return to “Player's Lounge”