One Year of Trump

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Benito

Re: One Year of Trump

Postby Benito » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:31 am

Naomi wrote:This leaves you with 18,586 businesses with over 500 employees. Small business amounts to approximately 99% of businesses in the United States.

I get why you brought this up--but small businesses aren't employing 99% of workers in the US, and are surely not making 99% of the profits.

In other news: European Parliament votes to ban single-use plastics:
The European Commission put forward the legislation in May, after its research found that plastics made up 80 percent of marine litter on European beaches, posing a major threat to coastal biodiversity. The commission found that marine litter costs the European Union $295 million to $793 million per year.

The World Economic Forum estimates that 90 percent of the world’s plastic waste ends up in the ocean, and that currently there are 50 million tons of plastic in the world’s oceans that could take centuries to degrade. This year the forum warned that there would be more plastic than fish in weight in oceans by 2050.

Roadeur

Postby Roadeur » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:24 am

Here you go, I was curious about the GDP and employment contribution of MSMEs in the US following the stats Naomi shared. This is the simplest breakdown a very quick Google could find - https://www.sba.gov/sites/default/files ... les-US.pdf

US MSMEs account for 99.9% of US Businesses
United States small businesses employed 58.9 million people, or 47.5% of the private workforce, in 2015
They produced 46 percent of the private nonfarm GDP in 2008 (the most recent year for which the source data are available

Small business owners are clearly a positive contribution to local and national economies. For one thing, they don't utilise complex off-shore tax schemes domicile-confuzzling chains of ownership (Amazon, Apple, Google...Trump) to reduce their contribution to the national purse. That's the kind of financially motivated avoidance of social obligation that many people argue (and are arguing on this thread) the current system does very little to address.

Reyne

Postby Reyne » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:19 pm

I don't have an issue with small business owners. They're often doing a ton of the work themselves, too. Side fact; even Lenin had his New Economic Policy that allowed for entrepreneurship and small business operation.

It is harder than ever to start a business and keep it running, though. Aside from the fact that most people my age don't have the capital (are even in debt thanks to student debts / whatnot), the bigger firms are doing all they can to run smaller firms out of the market. Yes, small businesses are still around half of the private sector but the trend is fairly clear. WalMart, Amazon, etc continue to do damage. WalMart has a very fun tactic of selling at a big loss, sometimes for years, until local businesses can't take it anymore and shut down, then raising prices.

http://time.com/money/4192512/walmart-s ... all-towns/

A 44-year-old grocery store in North Carolina saw a 30% sales drop immediately when a nearby Walmart opened a couple of years ago, according to a Bloomberg News story. Whenever the mom-and-pop supermarket cut prices, the Walmart would match or undercut them. The store finally succumbed to the inevitable last October, closing up entirely.

Some graphs:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/ma ... /81175914/

6% of companies make 50% of U.S. profit

If we were to get a little more granular, we could also look at specific industries and economic sectors. There is basically no real competition from new businesses in the telecomms/ISP arena and in fact most of the major ISPs have successfully lobbied to crush competition in ~21 states (last I checked). We either need to do what Europe does and have actual robust competition and sharing of lines or we declare it the natural monopoly that it is and stop letting executives extract rents from it for no good reason.

Where I live, Cox and AT&T have made a "patchwork agreement" in which they have agreed to parcel out the area into Cox and AT&T zones. I live in a Cox zone, which means I have 0 other options for internet unless I want to do some ultraslow satellite internet as if I lived out in the deserts. AT&T won't service my address. This is legal because the patchwork areas they have constructed loophole through the antitrust laws - can't have a trust/monopoly if you don't own the entire area but there's apparently no rule about just parceling it out with a competitor and agreeing not to touch the other company's zones. At least this is what AT&T told me when explaining why they couldn't switch me over from Cox.

Also where I live, the utilities are run by a private for-profit company. Again, natural monopoly, no competition, huge profits for executives/shareholders. We had a major power plant shut down a few years ago because the power company decided it didn't want to pay for repairs caused by their lack of maintenance, decommissioned it instead, and then in order to preserve revenues/profits (since they now have to pay more to import electricity vs generating locally) simply cranked the cost per KWh to compensate. I don't understand how this is a good thing in any way. People who don't even live here are profiting while the people who do live here have to pay some of the highest electricity costs in the world. A "low" bill for 1-2 people in a small apartment is $110+/mo. Not only do we have some of the highest baseline rates in the country/world, you're quickly put into "higher use" tiers which double or triple the rate. Plus surcharges for hitting those tiers, etc. Elderly during a heat wave and need the AC? Hope you're ready to pay hundreds of dollars a month even for a small apartment.

e: Oh, also 70% of the costs of the plant shut down made it onto our electric bills, also, even though it was their fault that it needed to be shut down (didn't do proper maintenance until it was an issue then just shut it down instead, meanwhile the cost of maintenance was still charged on our bills haha!). Oh, also, executive compensation went up 70% and their share price went up 9%. These people get paid millions of dollars a year. The company that owns the local one is called Sempra Energy, and they also do very well for themselves. They also want to raise rates here another 25% over the next few years.

Maghus

Postby Maghus » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:44 pm

Welcome to Bolsonaro, the newly elected president of Brazil. Are you guys seeing a pattern yet? The world is sick of politically correct ideology. So sick in fact, that they are electing madmen. Here are some of his quotes.

told a female reporter he wouldn't rape her because she's ugly
said he'd rather his kid die in a accident than be homosexual
said that Brazil should withdraw from the UN because they're a "bunch of communists"
that he is proud to cheat on his taxes and recommends voters do it too
wants to bring back torture
wants police to have a "carte blache to kill" criminals, kill drug dealers, chemically castrate rapists
thinks that the military dictators of Brazil's past should have killed more people

So we have Trump, Duterte, Putin, and Bolsarnaro. Are they the 4 horsemen?

Reyne

Postby Reyne » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:20 pm

Maghus wrote:Welcome to Bolsonaro, the newly elected president of Brazil. Are you guys seeing a pattern yet?

The pattern of centrists siding with fascism because when push comes to shove they like capitalism too much has been evident since the Enabling Acts in Germany.

Anyway idk if you're just trolling or actually touched in the head but uh might want to get some help 'cuz you're sounding a bit schizophrenic judging from your last couple posts.

Curtis

Postby Curtis » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:43 pm

The only thing that matters at this point is making sure to vote for your local (ex)CIA agent. Luckily there's one in almost every race.

Benito

Postby Benito » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:39 pm

I'll believe in the Democrat takeover of the house once I see it, but there are a number of important things in Washington that I'm paying attention to:

1. Carbon fee to reduce emissions and invest in alternative energy. The campaign against it has put in $30 million, which I believe is the most that's been spent on any initiative campaign in Washington's history, much of it coming from oil companies. Most of that money came in after the IPCC report came out predicting cataclysmic change by 2040 if we continue to do nothing.

2. Gun control. This would raise the age to buy guns from 18 to 21, along with some other common sense regulations.

3. Police reform.

Curtis

Postby Curtis » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:50 am

https://bongino.com/the-george-papadopo ... gs.Zih462w

An interesting Georgie Papa D interview.

Enok

Postby Enok » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:50 pm

That wasn't interesting at all. An hour spent on someone trying to convince me that he was set up by leftist western ex-law enforcement agents/lawyers.

A few minutes of research into Bongino tells me that he's like a new Rush Limbaugh. From wikipedia:

In 2018, Bongino said of himself, "My entire life right now is about owning the libs. That’s it."[12][1] Bongino is known for his staunchly pro-Trump commentary.[1]

Totally just out to get the facts. Totally.

Edit:

Don't worry Curtis. A few hundred thousand purged votes will let you keep the senate, possibly the house. There's nothing quite as sweet as a win earned by suppressing democracy! #Winning.

Maegon

Postby Maegon » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:22 pm

Benito wrote:I'll believe in the Democrat takeover of the house once I see it, but there are a number of important things in Washington that I'm paying attention to:

1. Carbon fee to reduce emissions and invest in alternative energy. The campaign against it has put in $30 million, which I believe is the most that's been spent on any initiative campaign in Washington's history, much of it coming from oil companies. Most of that money came in after the IPCC report came out predicting cataclysmic change by 2040 if we continue to do nothing.

2. Gun control. This would raise the age to buy guns from 18 to 21, along with some other common sense regulations.

3. Police reform.

This was probably one of the tougher initiative cycles that I've had to vote on. Honestly voted no to I-1631, despite knowing that oil companies made up the majority of the counter argument, because it sounded like a the bill wasn't fully planned out. Also curious to see how the police reform initiative ends up, My best friend is a police officer in WA, and he said they're already some of the highest trained officers in the country, and this will only add red tape language likely to add to hesitation in the field.

Return to “Player's Lounge”