Two Years of Trump

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Vaen

Re: Two Years of Trump

Postby Vaen » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:11 am

Erulisse wrote:If the dems had any spine at all they would pass a heap of bills in the house that were just wildly ambitious. Universal health care, forgive college debt, tax increases on big business, raise the minimum wage, national legalization of pot. Just go absolutely hog wild, knowing that they wont make it past the senate. Build up a ton of popular support among their base and just cry 'look at all we could have accomplished' vote for us 2020! Then when the win the can go back to being the milquetoast pretend liberals they are and collect their corporate money.

Democratic voters haven't historically rewarded grandstanding, but more importantly, news media doesn't reward that grandstanding on behalf of the Democratic Party, so that level of fervor is tough to reach even when the base is shifting and may want the party to grandstand.

The problem really comes down to the fact that the "wildly ambitious" far left and actual progressive liberalism has almost zero meaningful representation in media. Mainstream media, in general, is dominated by objective reporters and conservative idealogues. There actually aren't as many liberal idealogues in media as you would imagine given the collective REEEEEEEEEEEE from the right about "liberal media" - you'd think the Young Turks was mainstream media. As an example, by 9:00 PM on the night of the mid-terms, Jake Tapper (pretty often accused of promoting liberal agendas by the right) called "no blue wave" - a) that's an objectively insane time to be making that determination and b) it just goes to show how ride or die these guys are with trying to even appear objective. Of course, the post-election analysis is showing that it was, in fact, a blue wave so now everybody is getting on-board.

But the fact remains, there's really nobody to carry the water for Democrats if they start doing symbolic things for the sake of progressive liberalism the way conservatives have an entire major network of basically conservative idealogues and so the message associated with going "hog wild" and symbolic gestures wouldn't carry very far.

nareyda

Postby nareyda » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:40 am

cracks me up people are still bleeding out over this thread :D yeesh. shutup and pk!

Hope

Postby Hope » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:04 pm

Donald Trump is STILL your President.

Reyne

Postby Reyne » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:03 pm

Hope wrote:Donald Trump is STILL your President.

https://twitter.com/Papapishu/status/746803108949409793

Vaen

Postby Vaen » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:58 pm

Sure - and how's that retirement plan going? Hopefully better than the Eagles' season!

Hope wrote:My retirement plan is loving the first year of trump. So are a lot of people who have gotten raises and bonuses directly in response to the Trump tax plan.

Magdan

Postby Magdan » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:29 pm

The next president will be just as bad. Just behind closed doors. All politicians are crooks. A nation of whores forever bankrupt.

And the Patriots have been in the easiest division for a long time! 3 of the worst teams in football. Name a good Quarterback in that division in the last 20 years. Easy mode to playoffs or first round bye year after year.

Enok

Postby Enok » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:57 am

I feel like you're expecting some notion of decorum here. Where were you when Trump fueled the birther movement?

Magdan wrote:The next president will be just as bad. Just behind closed doors. All politicians are crooks. A nation of whores forever bankrupt.

"just as bad" is a stretch. Trump is historically bad. A lot of people are saying it.

I would say that chances are excellent that the next president will be a yuge step up.

Hope

Postby Hope » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:08 am

I supported the birther movement, in fact i still believe something shady was going on. I never wanted President Obama to fail though, and never though bad of him as a person. I just disagreed with some of his policies and how he handled the military (i was deployed under President Obama), and felt that his avoidance of providing his birth certs was a bit shady. I never have problems with people wanting to find out facts.

Jaster

Postby Jaster » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:26 am

Hope wrote:I supported the birther movement, in fact i still believe something shady was going on. I never wanted President Obama to fail though, and never though bad of him as a person. I just disagreed with some of his policies and how he handled the military (i was deployed under President Obama), and felt that his avoidance of providing his birth certs was a bit shady. I never have problems with people wanting to find out facts.
+1

Secondly, in year two my retirement plan is doing awesome and I am doing extremely well financially. Still getting kicked in the nuts from Obamacare though. However, baby steps, we will get there. Lastly, RUSSIA!! Two years later and millions upon millions spent to get people to commit perjury against themselves and find people who cheated taxes before the campaign. Well spent sore losers , well spent.

Enok

Postby Enok » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:27 am

@ Hope - How did he handle the military, in your opinion?

Jaster: How in Sweet Baby Jesus' name do you +1 someone for a bottom line that says "I never have problems with people wanting to find out facts." and then jump straight into Hannity talking points, criticizing Mueller for "wanting to find out facts". If Hope still feels something shady is going on with Obama's birth certificate(!) can you at least extend an olive branch towards Mueller and his scrutiny of the Trump campaign? No?

Return to “Player's Lounge”