Two Years of Trump

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Arkan

Re: Two Years of Trump

Postby Arkan » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:10 am

It's almost like there wasn't violence on Native Americans by Trumpsters very recently, or Trump himself mocking Native Americans on a regular basis or removing protections from Native American archeological and rights to their own land as well as republican success in limiting their voting rights. Kids wanted to follow their dear leader's lead and so some mocking of their own.

Btw, those black "Hebrew Israelites" there are not Jews.

Maegon

Postby Maegon » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:34 am

Jestin wrote:This is exactly why the media is losing so much credibility nowadays and opening themselves up to the whole fake news thing.

Or you know, 99% of the "fake news" bullshit is just bullshit. There's plenty to be said about the problems of a 24 hour news cycle and social media frenzy, but a good start for most people would just be to delete their facebook, then worry about fact checking the info they receive.

keim

Postby keim » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:47 pm

Jestin

Postby Jestin » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:30 pm

In case you're wondering what we're talking about:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fuller-video ... 42380.html

Media aggressively spun this as a bunch of teenagers attacking an innocent NA during a march. Longer videos from multiple angles tell a very different story. Tons and tons of people have jumped to social media to condemn and attack the teenagers without taking 5 minutes to do a bit more research and see the other four videos that essentially vindicate the teenagers of most of the accusations.

Maegon

Postby Maegon » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:48 pm

I knew which video you were talking about. The points from above still stand. I'm also sure the kid was "diffusing" the situation and not being a prick knowing that 50 classmates had his back if anything actually happened.

We have way bigger problems than "fake news".
Last edited by Maegon on Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Benito

Postby Benito » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:51 pm

Jestin wrote:This is exactly why the media is losing so much credibility nowadays and opening themselves up to the whole fake news thing.

Eh, the reason the media is losing credibility is it's the only tactic the far right has for defending its own glaring inconsistencies and failures. If you can't defend it, call it fake news. If you can't defend it, complain about media bias rather than responding to the problems raised in the reporting. If you can't defend it, make some specious comparison and act as if everything is taken care of. If Trump lies, find an example of CNN correcting its own reporting. This isn't an attack on you (Jestin), just repeating what you've said before about the lack of any real dialogue.

I've been thinking about this quite a bit, because it's been stunning over the last few weeks to see the lack of actual attempts to defend Trump's wall and shutdown. The two main rightwing responses come down to a) Democrats have supported border walls and b) if walls don't work, then why do you live in a house?

Is this really the best thinking that Republicans have to offer on the issue? Perhaps so, since if they start looking at real problems and facts, you have to address the following:

1. Immigrants commit crimes at rates far lower than the general public.
2. Border crossings have declined over the last few decades, particularly in the last 10 years.
3. Most drugs come through ports, not over the border.
4. Most "illegal immigration" comes through visa overstays rather than sneaking across borders.
5. The main sections of the border currently without a wall are in the Rio Grande floodplains, and building one would create even worse floods.
6. The ecological problems (migration, and so on) caused by building a wall.
7. Not even Republicans want this wall. If they did, they would have funded it over the last two years when they had control of Congress.
8. Trump's campaign promise was Mexico would build the wall. Him asking for funding is an acknowledgement of his own failure.
9. Obama's deportations and immigration policies in general were criticized by the left throughout his administration.

But it's easier to say, "Looks like walls work for aquariums!"
Last edited by Benito on Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jaster

Postby Jaster » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:52 pm

Maegon wrote:I knew which video you were talking about. The points from above still stand. I'm also sure the kid was "diffusing" the situation and not being a prick knowing that 50 classmates had his back if anything actually happened.

I’m sure the kid was thinking, “ on this class trip let’s see if the 50 of us can be extremely tough” vs a whole March at the memorial. I know thats what I did on my class trips. We tried to seek out a large mass of adults and try to “provoke” them to wanna fight. Lol
Last edited by Jaster on Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jestin

Postby Jestin » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:52 pm

Wasn't really talking to you Maegon because I pretty much agree with what you said. Was just trying to make the point that when the media messes up this blatantly, it gives people an excuse to start the whole fake news bs up again.

And I think we can cut a 15 year old a break for how he acts in front of 50 of his friends. Especially when he really didn't do anything bad at all :p there are tons of 15 year olds that would have turned into total douchebags in that situation, and not all of them will turn out to be bad people when they grow up.
Last edited by Jestin on Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jestin

Postby Jestin » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:56 pm

Benito wrote:

Eh, the reason the media is losing credibility is it's the only tactic the far right has for defending its own glaring inconsistencies and failures. If you can't defend it, call it fake news. If you can't defend it, complain about media bias rather than responding to the problems raised in the reporting. If you can't defend it, make some specious comparison and act as if everything is taken care of. If Trump lies, find an example of CNN correcting its own reporting. This isn't an attack on you (Jestin), just repeating what you've said before about the lack of any real dialogue.

Agree with this. However the other side is also true: that the media with its generally liberal biases (with the exception of Fox) has given people a reason to be skeptical. No matter how many times you scream that the sky is green, no-one is gonna believe you unless they first see some tinges of green somewhere.

I'm with you on being flabbergasted by the whole wall thing. Except that it fits with what we've seen from Trump's psychology so far. He really is stress testing the robustness of our system. Scary times..

Treach

Postby Treach » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:07 pm

Jestin wrote:Wasn't really talking to you because I pretty much agree with what you said. Was just trying to make the point that when the media messes up this blatantly, it gives people an excuse to start the whole fake news bs up again.

Why is the media not allowed to mess up? Does your business make zero mistakes?

Posting a correction every now and then is forgivable imo. Media plays a balancing act with reporting boring facts, and reporting news for views.

It is why so many online news want paid subscriptions now instead of ad monetised view counts.

Edit: Although this particular mistake is pretty bad as it was easily preventable by interviewing both parties. But also I think another contributing factor is the general populace understanding of the news. The news can report that Phillips claimed he was surrounded by the school kids. But the populace should understand that is a 1 sided story before calling out death threats. Does the media have a responsibility to check that Phillips is telling the truth before reporting he says? If that is the case the the whole trump admin should be banned from all media.
Last edited by Treach on Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Player's Lounge”