Two Years of Trump

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Jaster

Re: Two Years of Trump

Postby Jaster » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:48 pm

Treach wrote:
Jestin wrote:Wasn't really talking to you because I pretty much agree with what you said. Was just trying to make the point that when the media messes up this blatantly, it gives people an excuse to start the whole fake news bs up again.

Why is the media not allowed to mess up? Does your business make zero mistakes?

Posting a correction every now and then is forgivable imo. Media plays a balancing act with reporting boring facts, and reporting news for views.

It is why so many online news want paid subscriptions now instead of ad monetised view counts.

Edit: Although this particular mistake is pretty bad as it was easily preventable by interviewing both parties.

I think a big problem is the general populace understanding of the news. The news can report that Phillips claimed he was surrounded by the school kids. But the populace should understand that is a 1 sided story before calling out death threats.

Does the media have a responsibility to check that Trump and Phillips are telling the truth before reporting what they say?

The media is allowed to mess up. They mess up plenty currently and in the past. However the media from both sides need to do their JOB and corroborate stories before pushing it and its own agenda. Everything is an unverified, anonymous, or if it were true headline. I want actual news. Not the opinion of some political hacks. And if you give me rubbish that media outlets in todays era have no agenda you are full of shit and are biased yourself. The bias and politicizing the media conveys today is ludicrous. No one is held accountable for their mistakes. They are "sidelined" to behind the scenes work towards the same bullshit.
Last edited by Jaster on Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Treach

Postby Treach » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:03 pm

Jaster wrote:The media is allowed to mess up. They mess up plenty currently and in the past. However the media from both sides need to do their JOB and corabrate stories before pushing it and its own agenda. Everything is an unverified, anonymous, or if it were true headline. I want actual news. Not the opinion of some political hacks. And if you give me rubbish that media outlets in todays era have no agenda you are full of shit and are biased yourself. The bias and politicizing the media conveys today is ludicrous. No one is held accountable for their mistakes. They are "sidelined" to behind the scenes work towards the same bullshit.

How much do you spend on news a year? What's that saying.. If you are not paying for the product then you are the product.

The problem is getting a business model that allows unbiased and non-click bait news. And then having that news suitable to be consumed by such a diverse amount of people like in America. So you would need multiple business going for the unbiased non-click bait route, to be able to cater to different people, and you would need enough people willing to pay for that news..

So if you cannot find an unbiased news source and or not willing to pay for it. Then be prepared to wade through all the crap out there and figure out yourself what is the real news. Noone is responsible to do that for you.

And it is only going to get worse because as we have seen, anyone with a phone can now start a YouTube channel and start giving their expert opinions on topics they have no clue on.

Kryyg

Postby Kryyg » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:16 pm

Tomi Lahren is unbiased news. And she’s hot. I agree with Jaster but all cable news are just opinion. It’s just a race to be the first network who has the breaking news headline. The only people who occasionally still source verify and investigate are a few of the newspapers, however, Americans have become too lazy to read so we just sit on our asses and consume Sean Hannity and Don Lemon and call ourselves educated. Real journalism is dead because there is no market for it. Our democracy relies on an informed public, we are so far away from that. Once we realize that - and Trump being elected is probably that realization - there will be a real craving for actual news and someone smart will come out with an innovative way for mass consumption of accurate source verified news. That’s my dream and hope anyways.

Maegon

Postby Maegon » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:42 pm

Kryyg wrote:there will be a real craving for actual news and someone smart will come out with an innovative way for mass consumption of accurate source verified news. That’s my dream and hope anyways.

Reuters is sitting right there, and that's where I started getting my news last year. They didn't even cover this video BATTLE ROYALE (sarcasm) as far as I saw either. Too bad it's not entertaining.
Last edited by Maegon on Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

pathos

Postby pathos » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:13 am

I'd watch a Battle Royale of all the newscasters, bloggers and commentators!
A modern day Newsanchor scene if you will
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY5Ug1OW5O4

Maghus

Postby Maghus » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:43 am

Last edited by Maghus on Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Curtis

Postby Curtis » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:27 pm

projection

Curtis

Postby Curtis » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:27 pm

Mockingbird

Curtis

Postby Curtis » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:29 pm

Have fun paying back all those student loans once you're a prol.

Lykan

Postby Lykan » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:50 pm

Kryyg wrote:Tomi Lahren is unbiased news. And she’s hot. I agree with Jaster but all cable news are just opinion. It’s just a race to be the first network who has the breaking news headline. The only people who occasionally still source verify and investigate are a few of the newspapers, however, Americans have become too lazy to read so we just sit on our asses and consume Sean Hannity and Don Lemon and call ourselves educated. Real journalism is dead because there is no market for it. Our democracy relies on an informed public, we are so far away from that. Once we realize that - and Trump being elected is probably that realization - there will be a real craving for actual news and someone smart will come out with an innovative way for mass consumption of accurate source verified news. That’s my dream and hope anyways.

I have some version of this monologue in my head about three times a week, though the ending varies. It is 2019 in America and the only actual fact we can agree on relating to our news is that it is not accurate.

Where is Will McAvoy? Who is John Galt?

Return to “Player's Lounge”