Treating people with decency

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
daal

Re: Treating people with decency

Postby daal » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:42 pm

Edit to add: that, barring extreme behavior immortal action on hearsay alone would be totally inappropriate as well. What we really need are some clear lines of what is and is not appropriate either by the immortal or the player.

However, the current state of ad hoc rules applied on a case by case basis does nothing to help create a sense of accountability when some steps outside the socially excepted norms of this community.

Rig

Postby Rig » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:53 pm

As great as this is and as much as I agree, I also believe some of us need a little tougher skin. There's a difference between being deliberately berated and being criticized. Of course constructive criticism isn't always seen as such because it's a lot harder to tell the tone of another player through only text.

Firimei Lang

Postby Firimei Lang » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:56 pm

Rig wrote:As great as this is and as much as I agree, I also believe some of us need a little tougher skin. There's a difference between being deliberately berated and being criticized. Of course constructive criticism isn't always seen as such because it's a lot harder to tell the tone of another player through only text.

The Rig as we know and love:) Good words my little bro type friend.

Benito

Postby Benito » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:47 pm

daal wrote:You've got to walk in another man's shoes to truly appreciate where they are coming from and while the delivery might be totally bad, you can like appreciate the content sometimes.

Some of my best friends are ragers.

I don't disagree with his whole post - broadly, I get the irony and frustration of fielding complaints from players who are consistently indifferent to the rest of the playerbase in how they play and act and communicate. I think I'm just responding to a different set of examples and players.

alima

Postby alima » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:45 pm

daal wrote: What we really need are some clear lines of what is and is not appropriate either by the immortal or the player.

I mean, we're all adults right? We live and function in the real world? We have responsibilities and are required to act in certain ways dictated by our jobs and communities? Like, if you don't know by now what is and isn't appropriate, society failed you somewhere.

If you wouldn't say it to my face, don't hide behind the anonymity of the internet and say it. Don't demean people. Don't be racist or sexist. It's not that hard.

If you think it deserves imm intervention, mail the staff, don't complain in the court of public opinion.

If you are offended by something, step back and think about what exactly is offending you. If it's just that you're embarrassed that you got called out, suck it up.

Nothing is ever gained by these threads. Bottom line, if someone is rubbing you the wrong way, ignore or avoid them. We're not children. Most of us HAVE children. Treat others how you'd want your kids treated on the internet.

Zangief

Postby Zangief » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:23 pm

From my experience, lots of people make things personal. Like how someone chooses to pk or the decisions they make in the pk, ie: stabbing horses or multiple kinds of tactics that are considered unsavory. Then it evolves into not liking that specific player regardless of how nice they are.

Most of us have played for so long and most have made up their minds how they deal with or treat other players. I think if we confronted the players we have rifts with to see if you can get to the bottom of it would be ideal. But if it was that easy you’d see it irl a lot more.

That said it’s easier to be an asshole hiding behind a screen. There’s no balance here because if you were an asshole to a coworker or face to face you couldn’t get away with it so easy.

Kinda back to square one given the nature of the internet.

Arkan

Postby Arkan » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:36 pm

Maybe Melania's anti-internet bullying campaign should come to wotmud :-P

Treach

Postby Treach » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:42 am

All message areas, communications channels, and the very ability to play here are all privileges offered to you and may be withdrawn at any time for conduct unbecoming a houseguest. (This includes harassment of anyone else but does not necessarily include swearing). Any incidents which merit recourse to the authorities should be logged and reported by yourself. Any threatened or actual incidents which may, in your opinion, merit recourse to the authorities, are your responsibility to record and report as soon as possible

The house guest rule is spot on imo. It is very well worded and makes a lot of sense. Tell me if I'm wrong but fenoens post seems to directly contradict this.

And it is very easy to tell what is antisocial behaviour in a vacuum. Or at least with decent length log to ensure that the person wasn't trying to make a joke.

I'm sure the imms can verify logs aswell? So people cant just edit stuff to get people in trouble?

Then for anyone that is being an idiot then imms can give them a warning or a 1-3 day ban or jail time? So that person can cool down and take some time off.

Alaina

Postby Alaina » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:42 am

I feel like Fen's post has summed up a great deal of what has already been said.

The argument of contextuality and the void...come on, if someone screams "you're a bitch" on narrates, regardless if they were actually wronged or not, how does that make anything right? Use other language and confront the problem more maturely.

We are stuck with one another, so it's time we learned how to play nicely on the playground.

As for tougher skin, I can see validity in this Rig--but try to explain that to all the parents and loved ones around the world who have lost their children or partners because words alone had driven them to suicide or to other irrational, wreckless behaviors. (Has no one heard of cyber bullying?)

As I stated earlier, words are powerful tools.

Would you want to be the cause of someone hurting themselves because you thought it a great idea to run your mouth and embrass or demean them in front of their peers?

Stop and think about the world we live in for just a second. If this is our escape, let's make it a cleaner place to hang out.
Last edited by Alaina on Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Firimei Lang

Postby Firimei Lang » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:08 am

Alaina wrote:I feel like Fen's post has summed up a great deal of what has already been said.

The argument of contextuality and the void...come on, if someone screams "you're a bitch" on narrates, regardless if they were actually wronged or not, how does that make anything right? Use other language and confront the problem more maturely.

We are stuck with one another, so it's time we learned how to play nicely on the playground.

As for tougher skin, I can see validity in this Rig--but try to explain that to all the parents and loved ones around the world who have lost their children or partners because words alone had driven them to suicide or to other irrational, wreckless behaviors. (Has no one heard of cyber bullying?)

As I stated earlier, words are powerful tools.

Would you want to be the cause of someone hurting themselves because you thought it a great idea to run your mouth and embrass or deamean them in front of their peers?

Stop and think about the world we live in for just a second. If this is our escape, let's make it a cleaner place to hang out.

I am quoting a lot of sound minded folks here, as it would be hard to comment along on similar lines, without paraphrasing. Exactly what is being said here, is going on everywhere. We can't have one rule for them and another for us, we can't expect one person to get ignored for being cruel and another to face the chopping block.

It doesn't matter if you're on your mortal, Imm or a newbie. We should all act like we want to be treated, if some of you think this is sadomasochism then this isn't the place for you.

Return to “Player's Lounge”