Homelands revisited (statting).

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Enok

Homelands revisited (statting).

Postby Enok » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:07 am

Hi friends,

I had a bit of a wall of text lined up for this thread but I'll just go with this:

I suggest changing a few homelands on LS to be the cookie cutter "Seandar" or "Wolfish" homelands. Preferably with Seandar homeland stat sums. LS hunters in particular are insanely difficult to stat and I think that needs to change.

Thanks,

Enok

Paigey

Re: Homelands revisited (statting).

Postby Paigey » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:45 pm

Have written a few walls of text, but I'll settle for - I agree.

Or can't help myself.

I think hunters allow more dynamic PK with chasing.
I think there's been an increased focus on warriors/channelers/rogues - things that produce Ouch threads.
I think the Reroll process has just ... made things crazy.

Having gone through the rerolling process a lot lately, its really fascinating to see the 2 complications to it. Lots of rolls that are far too low and too many of the points being dedicated to int and wil resulting in it being too difficult to create a good physical character if the overall score is low.

Last thought - coding. Oh well.
Last edited by Paigey on Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elysia

Postby Elysia » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:19 pm

C to the O to the D to the I to the N to the G!

Or rather, that sort of access, which amounts to the same thing...

Paigey

Postby Paigey » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:16 pm

Everything ..major requires coding, but sometimes I wonder would the Imms even change things if they had ample coding resources. Perhaps they feel the current prerolled system is a sufficient bandaid. Would be interesting to see if there are bandaids that could be implemented without requiring an Immortal to be present at the time.

For example - a prerolled hunter is 18 10 12 17 18. Could mobol be implemented to give the character minor stat improvements at ..rank 5-6. Increasing the stats to 18 12 13 17 18: (1) boosts the characters practice pathways (2) which effectively gives more practices (3) and increases their stat total so that if they make it to rerolls they have a ..slightly better chance of improving with rerolls.

That's just an example. That said - you all know way more than we do about how many people are actually playing the game and creating characters. Since prerolled stats were implemented its entirely possible that zero people have created and clanned prerolled characters and it was all a bunch of work for nothing.

Rig

Postby Rig » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:27 pm

Considering the average hunter is 18 12 12 18 18. Do we really want to make everyone(for example)19 16 16 18+ 19? Sure, sounds nice from a perspective. I actually think the max statsum achievable should be changed for certain classes. I.e. warrior capped at 19 12 12 15 19 77 statsum across all homelands. (not including ds of course because ds has a mentals malus.)

Introducing rerolls really fucked up the need for super stats. When we started getting those amazing statsums and rolls from rerolls it got to the point where everyone started to feel as if they needed the same kind of stats to compete.

Rig

Postby Rig » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:28 pm

I'm saying this from the perspective of someone who plays very few chars that aren't considered "super statted.

laci

Postby laci » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:38 pm

Paigey wrote:Everything ..major requires coding, but sometimes I wonder would the Imms even change things if they had ample coding resources.

I had a big wall of text too, but suffice it to say that if you have an honest look at all the great new features and hard work put into the game recently, I think you'd recognize how unfair your statement is. It's obvious a lot of effort is being put in to improve the game.

Paigey

Postby Paigey » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:53 pm

laci wrote:
Paigey wrote:Everything ..major requires coding, but sometimes I wonder would the Imms even change things if they had ample coding resources.

I had a big wall of text too, but suffice it to say that if you have an honest look at all the great new features and hard work put into the game recently, I think you'd recognize how unfair your statement is. It's obvious a lot of effort is being put in to improve the game.

We're misunderstanding each other. Assuredly the Immortals would make changes, but it doesn't mean they would necessarily change what you or I think need to be changed. In short, when the Immortals reply "coding" we can't actually infer their intent. I appreciate a lot of the changes that have been made recently and I've been enjoying exploring them.

Rig - I agreed with you, years ago. Stats are probably too high. Channelers were downed recently and rightly so though I often wonder should we ever have allowed 19 19 18s and what not. Probably only rogues should be able to have 19 dex and you can draw whatever class limitations would make sense from there. I think the cat's out of the bag though. We won't ever go back.

One thing I think you rightly capture is ..the fear of missing out. People dedicate time to a character and find them thinking they need to start over to that 1 extra point. I'm not bothered by the idea of raising the bottom baseline up. Better stats open new possibilities/practice options. I made a new warrior the other day - he has near perfect physicals and I'm playing him abs.

Elysia

Postby Elysia » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:55 pm

The workarounds we have been doing, including prerolled stats, are essentially all done by one mob. Every mob has limited space, so we need to be extremely careful with that space. There are some other limitations to use as well. Case in point, yes, mobol can now award exp. Did we use that to make statting easier? No.

What you're suggesting might be technically possible, e.g. changing stats, but mobol in general wouldn't be able to do several vital things that would be necessary to prevent abuse.

That pretty much means we don't discuss every possibility, because there are reasons we can't pull something off, so nfc if we'd do it if it was feasible. It's not like I speak for all of us.

Paigey wrote:For example - a prerolled hunter is 18 10 12 17 18. Could mobol be implemented to give the character minor stat improvements at ..rank 5-6. Increasing the stats to 18 12 13 17 18: (1) boosts the characters practice pathways (2) which effectively gives more practices (3) and increases their stat total so that if they make it to rerolls they have a ..slightly better chance of improving with rerolls.

Paigey

Postby Paigey » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:17 pm

Very cool to hear your side of things. Thanks Elysia.

Return to “Player's Lounge”