weary coin - nuke it?

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Elysia

Re: weary coin - nuke it?

Postby Elysia » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:31 pm

Taziar wrote:The weary exchange got totally removed and I think the coin requirement was the best way to bring it back.

Essentially, be glad you can exchange at all.

No one on WoTmud can only do exclusively what they like. The people who don't like pk can't play in safe mode. The people who like pk will need to buy vials and horses, depending on side. There is always an element of farming. Anyone remember having to farm for gold so you could even rent? Don't get me wrong, it's a good thing that's gone, since renting is a necessity and RL should always come first.

The attempts to increase the value of gold is not to piss off pkers and make them do something they loathe, but to make players who are good at acquiring gold be able to contribute to their clan and actually be valued (no pun intended). Some players contribute to a clan by smobbing and filling the chest, some are good at gathering vials, others wreck in pk and fill the chest that way, and others are good at making gold. We as Staff value all these types of players and we are currently trying to create an environment where there are more flavors than just smobbers and pkers. The more diverse the types of players, the better for the game.

Some players will have to step out of their comfort zone and do some exploring to learn good loads. Some will have to find other means to fund themselves, like selling a cloak to the collector in order to pay for exchanging at weary. Or you can lean on your clanmates who are good at making gold and find a new appreciation for them.

Reyne

Postby Reyne » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:39 pm

Yeah, I was going to say the solution here is just have smobbers or gold makers in your clan contribute to the treasury then have your council authorize X amount of gold per month for exchanges?

I know other clans do something similar for honing/hardening.

Ashlee

Postby Ashlee » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:31 pm

Reyne wrote:Yeah, I was going to say the solution here is just have smobbers or gold makers in your clan contribute to the treasury then have your council authorize X amount of gold per month for exchanges?

I know other clans do something similar for honing/hardening.

I get what Elysia is saying, but Lancers is not a smob clan. We pk. Our RP is almost exclusively pk based. What gold I have is used entirely to hh weapons and mens abs. Sucks, but can’t win them all! Guess Ill have to smob more

isabel

Postby isabel » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:32 pm

I don't know if the problem is coming through here - you're assuming that a clan even has smobbers/farmers. We are a pk clan and I can think of maybe 1 player who is super into that. Different clans have a different focus. We would have to start actively clanning smobbers/farmers for this and it actually irritates me that having to pk would be tied up with this. Pk is one of the most skilful/exciting aspects of the game. Eq/vial etc gathering is ALREADY tied into pk for regular/normal pkers.

If I could at least issue a cape/trink and sell it to make coin to hone my weapon or buy vials, or use the trink to pay the broker then I could 'burn' my pk earned qps for something that helps my character pk without the tedious stuff. But that's not currently allowed.

Instead I or someone in my clan has to smob or farm stuff for the exact same thing. I think then it's putting a higher value on smobbing/farming than on pking.

And making RP capes/trinks mandatory when it's 3 qps and/or 75 gc is too much and is why nobody does it. People would be hunting about like Accepteds trying to get their dress/ring back and it is frankly tedious. You know what one Accepted told me when I said well you can send in a log and get some of the qp back? She said yes, but it's tedious. And I totally GET it. You want to pk and have fun, not sit and write logs and letters for every time you died, or spam at mobol every time you died, or in my case, do a coin run or burn 3 qps every time you die. It gets really old after the 50th death.

The whole point of the abs/pk setup - if you want to talk about old times - was that you could pop a lithe, buy/hoard a burnished and hop into pk. Then work your way up or else re-start from here. Try to catch the xp boat when there's a multiplier or take a timeout in between stretches of pk to level up a bit. The damage these days is so high that it would be a joke to pk like that when there are so many masters/full kitted people about.

The alternative is to try to avoid dying as much as possible - I mean I have now switched to combo to try that but you shouldn't have to be an elite player to bypass farming per death etc.

raal

Postby raal » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:03 pm

My strategy has been to sell some of the nicer loot I get in PK - have gotten good amounts of gold for jeweled cuffs and sids and I just do that when my bank gets empty. I think grings/gchains/sids would probably sell for more then the figure gives for them...

Elysia

Postby Elysia » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:08 pm

isabel wrote:If I could at least issue a cape/trink and sell it to make coin to hone my weapon or buy vials, or use the trink to pay the broker then I could 'burn' my pk earned qps for something that helps my character pk without the tedious stuff. But that's not currently allowed.

You have your fellow players, way back when, to thank for that. I don't see it changing very quickly either, especially now that it would be an easy way to syphon cash from your one alt to another (clan). Or for people to clan somewhere, quickly do the 100-150 qps worth of quests, issue back to zero and declan. It already happens, although perhaps not necessarily with that intent.

That said, if you play balls to the wall and die loads, then that is your choice. If you can't afford that lifestyle, it doesn't necessarily mean something is wrong with needing money for things.

isabel

Postby isabel » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:15 pm

Needing money for things when I die is fine with me.

Needing money for things when we won and got clan gear is what I was posting about.

If you really think it will be a better mud to take the baseline as the player who issues 150 qps worth of stuff to alt over etc, and not the players who take risks in pk, then fine :p

At the end of the day, this is a text game. When I look back, I count the times when I had fun because the game was exhilarating and adrenaline was rushing. I can't imagine that anyone gets anything exciting from hacking the system and abusing stuff,other than giving imms more work w/e. They just wasted their time racking up some numbers on a text game, like that Accepted who got master qps from library books. Other than docking/shutting it out, why let it affect anything in the game, especially by adding workarounds that basically involve doing boring stuff?

However, since you don't agree with this Elysia, I can see it's a losing battle to continue posting here, and hence I shall shut up about this :p

Rodger

Postby Rodger » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:06 pm

Wasn't there talk at some point about getting some gold based on rank?

Made me think of a cool idea for the gold idea, maybe 20,000 gold to hire a supply officer?

A supply officer stands here, sorting through the goods.

Say 'issue supplies' (1 QP)

A supply officer says 'Well, hope this helps you out."

A supply officer gives you a backpack.

The backpack contains:

Vial on % chance
100 gold on % chance
str tea on % chance
fear vial on % chance
a piece of dried fruit (100%)

Lord Pe

Postby Lord Pe » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:07 pm

You have the clan Banks now and forums all you have to do is figure out a way to fill it with money maybe by winning at player kill and depositing some of the high-end stuff and then setting up a stipend for your troops. Maybe 200 gold every real last month per person that logs on to get it. If there's not enough gold to go around then it could stimulate an economy or those troops just don't get paid and they need to try harder.

Treach

Postby Treach » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:53 pm

I think brigands winding is great. It loads decent cash/vial and it is risky. I think there needs to be more loads like this that encourage farming in dangerous areas.

Same principle I wish mobs in ls and ds cities loaded % basics or better cash.

Another solution would be add trolloc scalps to the ratter for a couple of gold coin, or give lancers a mob for it. Similar to how trolls can get gold for horse scalps.

Return to “Player's Lounge”