war

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
raek

Re: war

Postby raek » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:30 am

I love PKing in the south. I think the war system is a great idea that will conotinue to improve as tweaks are made.

Etain

Postby Etain » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:04 am

I've got no stake in the war system, as my sole played character is Tower, and therefore not allowed to participate. From that perspective, while the war system has appeared to be good for creating activity on LS, it has been genuinely terrible for the community at large.

Ever since Round One, I've listened on globals to increasingly bitter and strident debates on the fairness of the system, accusations of cheating by one side or another, and personal attacks being traded with gleeful abandon. There was, in fact, an almost audible sigh of relief from a sizeable portion of the playerbase after the third round ended.

The system is presented as containing something for most of WoTMUD's player types: PK opportunities for the PKers, General hits for the smobbers, and openings to negotiate and create interaction for the RPers. In actuality, there has been no meaningful negotiation (the two attempts made in the last round were rejected out of hand), and General hits have been roundly criticized as 'smobbing to victory'. PK alone has received any kind of boost, and that's caused its own set of problems, such as wrangling over which scalps count toward war totals, complaints about AFK kills, and back-and-forth haranguing over methods and tactics used by rival factions.

In all three of the past rounds, the Children of the Light have declared war on multiple factions, and with one or two exceptions, beaten every one by almost comically wide margins. I'm not trying to stigmatize the CoL; on the contrary, bravo to them for their work at organizing both on the defense and the attack. The point I'm trying to make is that there's a glaringly obvious imbalance to the system, which so far has barely been addressed. There's a perception that the war system favors certain clans, not necessarily on purpose, but regardless it's a flaw with the potential to create an enormous amount of ill-will, as has already been seen.

I have little doubt that the war system is here to stay, despite what I or others like me might prefer. I'm not going to argue the point. What I am saying is that the system is in need of a major overhaul. Without it, I'd say that it's 50/50 at best whether the system will be a help or a hindrance to WoTMUD's community.

Jaster

Postby Jaster » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:06 am

Etain wrote:I've got no stake in the war system, as my sole played character is Tower, and therefore not allowed to participate. From that perspective, while the war system has appeared to be good for creating activity on LS, it has been genuinely terrible for the community at large.

Ever since Round One, I've listened on globals to increasingly bitter and strident debates on the fairness of the system, accusations of cheating by one side or another, and personal attacks being traded with gleeful abandon. There was, in fact, an almost audible sigh of relief from a sizeable portion of the playerbase after the third round ended.

The system is presented as containing something for most of WoTMUD's player types: PK opportunities for the PKers, General hits for the smobbers, and openings to negotiate and create interaction for the RPers. In actuality, there has been no meaningful negotiation (the two attempts made in the last round were rejected out of hand), and General hits have been roundly criticized as 'smobbing to victory'. PK alone has received any kind of boost, and that's caused its own set of problems, such as wrangling over which scalps count toward war totals, complaints about AFK kills, and back-and-forth haranguing over methods and tactics used by rival factions.

In all three of the past rounds, the Children of the Light have declared war on multiple factions, and with one or two exceptions, beaten every one by almost comically wide margins. I'm not trying to stigmatize the CoL; on the contrary, bravo to them for their work at organizing both on the defense and the attack. The point I'm trying to make is that there's a glaringly obvious imbalance to the system, which so far has barely been addressed. There's a perception that the war system favors certain clans, not necessarily on purpose, but regardless it's a flaw with the potential to create an enormous amount of ill-will, as has already been seen.

I have little doubt that the war system is here to stay, despite what I or others like me might prefer. I'm not going to argue the point. What I am saying is that the system is in need of a major overhaul. Without it, I'd say that it's 50/50 at best whether the system will be a help or a hindrance to WoTMUD's community.

This was a very good post and probably with most constructive and detailed criticism.

Viellain

Postby Viellain » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:57 am

Here are my thoughts on the war system; I have been ivolved in 5 wars now and they are a ton of work.

There have been 2 rounds of wars. The first round was more enjoyable by far. As I understand it the war system is meant to resolve conflicts between clans/nations. You need to have a legitimate reason to declare war. The intention is not for the wars to be easy quest points or started out of boredom.

From my experience the wars have resolved conflicts reasonably well:

The *oL and Red Eagles are on good terms again- likelyhood of another war is low.

*oL and Andor is resolved but there are still tensions- potential for another future conflict I suppose.

*oL and Seanchan was a bit silly as I dont think that can ever lead to peace (this was the one war where we did not declare first).

*oL and Tear seems to be resolved. Time will tell how that goes but I am optimistic.

*oL and Dragonsworn is in the same light as the Seanchan.

So it appears the intention of the war system works. I will repeat I did not have fun in the 2nd round of wars; the Tear war was particularly unpleasant and is likely the reason for Etains comment, which raised good points.

Return to “Player's Lounge”