mud client help

... A place to ask for help on any topic whether it be starting out to player killing to IT issues.
Callesa

mud client help

Postby Callesa » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:40 am

Hi,

I've returned to WoTMUD after a longer time away. The thing is, I changed computer during my absence and iOS doesn't support Cmud and Zmud, or does it? Does anyone know how to run it on some emulator or something like that? I was about to buy it before switching computers.

I still have the old and beloved computer with Windows 8, but it was replaced for good reasons (it sounded a bit like a plane taking off, needed tape so that it wouldn't fall apart, was a bit too slow, the battery was there just as a gap filler but the electricity cable was necessary at all times, and it couldn't run even 10 year old games), so I don't know whether I should buy Cmud there and keep the computer just for mudding.

I tried Mudlet. The problem is not only my skills (such as creating a targetting script for channeling), but it crashes. It started crashing right after I created my first two aliases and tried to use one. Since then, it crashes without a reason, I log in, type my first order, and it crashes.

Are there alternatives for iOS? I definitely want something with aliases (and a targetting script) AND definitely something with a map. Zone knowledge has always been my worst weakness in pk and I never had (and don't have know) the luxury of having years to just run around memorising everything.

Any ideas, please?

Firimei Lang

Re: mud client help

Postby Firimei Lang » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:40 am

I am on a mac and use winebottler and then download cmud. It is usually a straightforward process.

Callesa

Postby Callesa » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:14 am

Thank you!

Joolis

Postby Joolis » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:17 am

It's probably crashing because you've got a circular reference in your alias/trigger. (i.e. your alias is calling itself)

It's happened to me, which is why I guess :)

Callesa

Postby Callesa » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:38 pm

I don't know, it is possible, I have no clue how this works.

It is a standard exping alias that I've been using, something simply to try creating my first alias.
"tre" for "kill tree"

And since then, the client is crashing not only when I try this, but it happens with a lot of normal actions too.

Joolis

Postby Joolis » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:47 pm

Yep, you need to surround your alias with start/end boundaries.

Your alias is tre
It then sends k tree
But tree starts with tre
It then sends k tree again
And so on

Your alias should look like: ^tre$

This means that only the exact string of tre will execute your alias.

Callesa

Postby Callesa » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:44 pm

Ah, thanks! now i only need to learn to use a map and such stuff

thanks a lot for the explanation

Return to “Help and Newbie Area”