Live Discord class on Wiki contributing

... A place to ask for help on any topic whether it be starting out to player killing to IT issues.
Taziar

Live Discord class on Wiki contributing

Postby Taziar » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:19 pm

Greetings contributors!

Thuvia and I are going to hold a live questions and answers forum on the WoTMUD Discord server tomorrow Thursday the 9th beginning around 6-7pm EST. Anyone interested in Wiki contributing is welcome to attend, bring popcorn! (and a question or two :) )

Taziar

Lord Pe

Re: Live Discord class on Wiki contributing

Postby Lord Pe » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:24 pm

I have recently discovered this Wiki thing and I have an extremely mixed bag of emotions toward it. First it's kind of cool but it kind of takes a lot of the magic out of the game as well. So I have to be kind of careful what I look up on there. I kind of look at it as cheat codes for video games. That being said some of the stuff the stuff I tried to look at was somewhat misinformed or missing a lot of information altogether. But a lot of it was laid out naked as a jaybird.

Reyne

Postby Reyne » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:09 pm

I'm not sure if I'll be able to make that time but I might catch the tail end. Would definitely be useful as I'd like to contribute but it didn't seem very straightforward to edit last time I tried and I got scared off a bit!

I think the wiki is cool. Some stuff is good to keep secret (got some unmapped rooms and tricks in mind) and I'm not going to post how to exactly do every novice/Accepted trick or a step by step of any quests... but having basic maps, location info, weapon/armor stats, help with most commands, etc seems like a necessity to me - especially if we're trying to attract new players. I think many of my fellow players have been playing for years at this point and take for granted many things that aren't obvious at all to someone who is newer and who has no way to find out really. At the least, the wiki should give you enough basics that you aren't totally lost which I think it does a good job of.

For example I see no reason to keep silent about the fact that i. or g. in front of an item name will let you directly act on the item in your inventory (i.xxxx) or ground (g.xxxx). Didn't find that until nearly two years of playing the game, I see no reason why that or similar basics should be some secret learn for yourself thing!

Just my 2 cents on that ofc.

(Still trying to figure out how Erulisse Sedai has mobile pigeons - that's a good example of something that should *not* be on the wiki.)

Taziar

Postby Taziar » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:29 pm

Session starts in about 5 hours from now on the WoTMUD Discord server.

https://discord.gg/xHvGeK

Lord Pe

Postby Lord Pe » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:41 pm

Reyne wrote:I'm not sure if I'll be able to make that time but I might catch the tail end. Would definitely be useful as I'd like to contribute but it didn't seem very straightforward to edit last time I tried and I got scared off a bit!

I think the wiki is cool. Some stuff is good to keep secret (got some unmapped rooms and tricks in mind) and I'm not going to post how to exactly do every novice/Accepted trick or a step by step of any quests... but having basic maps, location info, weapon/armor stats, help with most commands, etc seems like a necessity to me - especially if we're trying to attract new players. I think many of my fellow players have been playing for years at this point and take for granted many things that aren't obvious at all to someone who is newer and who has no way to find out really. At the least, the wiki should give you enough basics that you aren't totally lost which I think it does a good job of.

For example I see no reason to keep silent about the fact that i. or g. in front of an item name will let you directly act on the item in your inventory (i.xxxx) or ground (g.xxxx). Didn't find that until nearly two years of playing the game, I see no reason why that or similar basics should be some secret learn for yourself thing!

Just my 2 cents on that ofc.

(Still trying to figure out how Erulisse Sedai has mobile pigeons - that's a good example of something that should *not* be on the wiki.)

Basically I'm quoting the last part about the inventory over ground yeah stuff like that definitely should be up front there was a post about it because it was a new feature way way way way way back when LOL

Thuvia

Postby Thuvia » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:29 pm

So Pe brings up two good points.

1. Misinformed - the beauty of a Wiki is that while mistakes happen, anyone can fix them, so if you see outdated or incorrect information, by all means feel free to correct it.

2. Spoilers - a few pages already have Spoiler-type templates that hide information by default (some of the crafting pages come to mind, for instance), which can then by clicked on to reveal more information. Of course, if you're coming to a Wiki you're already expecting to find things out, but we can certainly make more things "hidden" by default for people who want the option to choose what info to see.

Lord Pe

Postby Lord Pe » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:59 pm

Oh don't mind me it's just not my thing I like to get information the old-fashioned way by asking around or exploring however I've noticed my asking around usually gets me a link to the wiki LOL I don't do maps I never intend on looking at the full weapon stats I like to have the wool over my eyes so to speak about stuff

Octavio

Postby Octavio » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:03 pm

I will say that specifically regarding the crafting page seeing the wiki prompted me to go try it. I think that was one of those things that was always too "involved" t go try to do before. There are notable pages that are not there, nothing about MC's, nothing about darkfriends mostly, things like that. I would love to see more on things like joncast, heralds, quests...stuff like that. Things that help me get out into the world a bit more and try things that I have not tried before.

Return to “Help and Newbie Area”