A glimpse of what's to come...

Open Forum for the Seanchan Race.
Drol

Re: A glimpse of what's to come...

Postby Drol » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:26 am

The warrant thing is going to be really annoying. Pretty sure some of us would even still have the old school wolf warrants too.

Elysia

Postby Elysia » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:25 am

I can safely give a resounding "NO" to Eol's ideas.

• For one, we feel that Seanchan play an important role in the Wheel of Time, and their continued presence will spice up the game politically and in other ways. Especially by making them human, politics can start playing a part. Perhaps not a fully fledged Game of Houses, but at least a vast improvement compared to oh, it's *purple* - kill it dead.
  • For another, after a few attempts last year to let LS characters switch clans with qps intact, Staff almost unanimously felt that letting characters switch clans with qps intact was a bad idea. Primarily because of roleplay issues. Such issues would be even greater with Seanchan.
  • I think people are grossly over-estimating chances at making a successful transfer.
    • We wouldn't force LS clans to take you. You would have to earn your place by a vote. Players DO care about an applicant's background and I reguarly see discussions where people end up being told to try with another character because of some reason or other.
    • Being admitted with full qps is not a guarantee and it would depend entirely on the players of LS clans whether they would accept this, or partially. From the discussions I've seen regarding the LS-LS transfer attempts, even for them it wasn't a done deal. Given that Seanchan's qps were earned by invading and killing humans, it's likely that not many clans (if any) would accept you with all your qps intact.
    • Given the amount of Seanchan clanned that would need to switch, there would be pretty valid concerns about such a sudden influx affecting clans' identities. This would likely translate into a few people getting in because they are known OOCly, many more being made to wait in limbo for months until clans felt ready to let more people join and some not being able to find a clan at all because of perceived attitudes, playstyles, OOC influence and so on. That would be infinitely worse and be more unfair to the many Seanchan players than becoming a human roleplaying a Seanchan clanned.

varcoz

Postby varcoz » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:10 pm

I figured Eol's idea would be a instant no. I think it's pretty much the only idea that will bring Seanchan back so to speak. Granted the getting switched to new clans would probably be a pain. Guessing more so for some then others given peoples ability to be petty and stupid. I don't think the way it's currently going to be laid out will be good personally. I'm pretty sad about it really. I haven't played a murderer actively in ages. I got over that part of my wotmud career quite awhile ago. This kinda has a feeling of when I deleted all my nifty chars. Because for me I really only play SS and LS. With SS being by far my favorite side. Less politics, less bull crap, less old boys clubs and petty people. No channelers (remove them all!) it's easy in my eyes, loved raiding. Now it's just like meh I'm basically a glorified murderer again. Sure it's cool I'm a master...who gets to kill dudes. But targeting is and will be a joke. The warrants is and will be a joke. The old boy clubs and warrants will be a joke. And the whole thing just feels meh to me.

I really do appreciate the imms and there effort to try and revive seanchan. You guys brought back Seandar and I hoped that would give us some life. But it didn't only for a short while. Apparently people just don't like playing Seanchan or just rather play other sides etc? But yeah I dunno I guess I was in favor of change. But this change I can't say I'm in favor of. I guess as I stated earlier, just have to see how it goes. I haven't been playing much at all as is so not a huge deal to me. But certainly gonna put a damper in my desire to log in for a random pk session now and then. I really really really loathe the targeting system. I have always hated having to spam multiple names etc. I feel like for that alone I'm just completely distraught over the whole idea. But it is what it is.

Adael

Postby Adael » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:44 pm

Coding obv, but imping a "k wanted" command in addition to what we already have would be nice to help with that annoyance.

Taziar

Postby Taziar » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:45 pm

Varcoz I can try and help with the targeting issue like I offered to Yeri since I know you both use zMUD.

The murderer aspect isn't quite the same as first thoughts might make it. Clanned Seanchan are still going to be Justice clan members of the Seanchan Empire. The closest example will be like Companions/Defenders/Winged Guard PK (which I know you have experience! :P). The lose of racial coding is going to open up the ability for sworn and the ability for SS to have channelers among other things.

The fact that SS kind of just turned into purple trollocs is a negative of the coded racial separation from back in 2002(?) right? Regardless of how the side developed over the years isn't and wasn't it supposed to be primarily RP focused? That RP will still exist and actually become facilitated and flourish I think by the racial change.

Drayde

Postby Drayde » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:43 pm

I'm pretty excited (as excited as I get for things that don't directly effect me, anyway) to see this getting put into effect. The RP chances are a big deal; this MUD was founded on RP as much as PK, regardless of what some people think. It's much more than a Godwars. If it wasn't, I sure as hell would not be coming back after 20 years. I like how it will revitalize a bit of same side pk and will give a greater opportunity for character development. For the most part on my end pk has been 'see red, dead' then off to re eq, with nothing much more in depth or meaningful than that. Maybe now some pk can mean more!

Ashlee

Postby Ashlee » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:28 pm

I dont see why wiping warrants shouldnt be done...there is an administative change that is forcing characters to now be LS and they are all wanted by LS. Seems only fair to have an administrative change to wipe warrants.

And insta-warranting is still a no-no...why not remove all warrants and have them be re-issued if/when a clan’s laws are violated?

Palaemon

Postby Palaemon » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:40 pm

Keep in mind Seanchan are still an invading army regardless of what in game flag they have. Nothing about seanchan RP is changing. Seanchan have always been humans, just in game it was specified separately. Seanchan are at war, they are conquerors. If Tanchico for example wants to enter into subjugation under Seanchan rule, that would be one thing, but to have a peace treaty with the Seanchan Empire? Allow Seanchan to enter light side cities and just ignore them? That is not in line with any stretch of roleplay. We (myself included) created our Seanchan characters to be Seanchan, to roleplay as Seanchan. Not join a random light side justice clan and go pk trollocs. I suggest you all consider this before chasing some blanket pardon go hang out in Caemlyn/FD pipe dream.

alima

Postby alima » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:48 pm

Our warrants weren't handed out by people due to breaking the law. Our warrants were automatically given to us because we were *purple* and we went into a city that aggros us. That's not RP. That's game mechanics. Now the game mechanics are changing. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask that these things that are part of who we were as a separate race be reset now that we're not longer a separate race.

Let each clan make their own decisions on how to deal with the Seanchan, and we will do that as well. I can think of compelling reasons why a peace treaty with the Borderlands is feasible. The RP WILL shift now that we're all on the same globals channel and the politics will evolve. That is unavoidable.

Some clans may have no issue with Seanchan because they're not a threat at this time. Cairhien for example, or Mayene, or the Borderlands. Let those nations make their own choices.

If we're going to keep coming back to RP RP RP, then let the players decide the RP. Wipe the warrants that were gained via game mechanics and let's start this new life on LS fresh.

Taziar

Postby Taziar » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:02 pm

The character Alima has attacked and plundered across the known world for a decade right? No LS clan is going to forget that the Seanchan are an invading army that wants to take control from the Aryth Ocean to the Spine of the World, I would hope that you should keep your warrant along with any other Seanchan of note.

@Ashlee The warranting rules have changed, I think any clan can blanket warrant if I read the rules correctly.

Return to “The Seanchan Empire”