limiting council per player

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Rig

Re: limiting council per player

Postby Rig » Fri May 17, 2019 8:29 pm

Yea as Maegon put it DS runs fine the way it is. If someone is out of line all it takes is a mail to Chosen and it gets set straight. Not too sure about LS as I only have one council on there and with work being as busy as it has been I've been neglecting it a bit.

Benito

Postby Benito » Fri May 17, 2019 8:43 pm

I haven't seen it be a problem on DS. Ko'bal is really the only clan that takes some special effort, talent, or connections to get into. The other trolloc clans just take activity and not being a jackass. Sometimes the latter is optional :twisted:

The closest thing to gatekeeping is the ban on clanning rogues outside of Ko'bal, but that was a lot of different players agreeing with each other about a solution to an actual problem.

Lord Pe

Postby Lord Pe » Fri May 17, 2019 8:47 pm

Benito wrote:I haven't seen it be a problem on DS. Ko'bal is really the only clan that takes some special effort, talent, or connections to get into. The other trolloc clans just take activity and not being a jackass. Sometimes the latter is optional :twisted:

The closest thing to gatekeeping is the ban on clanning rogues outside of Ko'bal, but that was a lot of different players agreeing with each other about a solution to an actual problem.

Oh yes. That is my understanding of The Darkside politics for that kind of stuff. That's leading to my next post I'm going to make next week I'll give you a hint it has to do with Rogues and backstab and too much damage.

Lord Pe

Postby Lord Pe » Fri May 17, 2019 8:50 pm

So let's bring the conversation around just to light side. Do people really feel like it's okay to have a council in every Clan as one player? I really don't. I was more on board when it was one for any player. But I do realize we have a smaller base now I think getting 2 per person wouldn't be Overkill and it wouldn't be super abusable. Also maybe some stipulation on them not being diametric forces.

Elysia

Postby Elysia » Fri May 17, 2019 9:21 pm

Councillors are just admin functions, they don't rule clans in the same way DS masters do. They execute the will of the clan and will and do get reeled back in if their clanmates feel they are making bad decisions or if they are too dictator-like. If the clan is inactive, we should just be grateful someone will fulfill basic functions. Plus let's do the math: there's 37 lightside clans and most clans already have problems filling vacant council seats. By limiting it even further, clans will become defunct, which isn't going to benefit anyone.

From what I've seen, groups of players locusting from one (inactive-ish) clan to another is a much bigger problem.

Rig

Postby Rig » Fri May 17, 2019 10:05 pm

What's wrong with a group of players joining inactive clans? Does this not breed activity or get the ball rolling within these said inactive clans?

Elysia

Postby Elysia » Fri May 17, 2019 10:16 pm

It can be a positive thing, but it can also warp a clan's rp into something it never was, with older players coming back and thinking "hell no".

Imagine people locusting into Sword and Hand and insta-turning it into a clan that submitted to Seanchan. That wouldn't do any justice to the older players. Sure, at some point people have been absent for so long, you can say "well, then they should have read forums or played", but it can potentially move very quickly. Now imagine if it was a group of Seanchan players who did this and you have a whole new problem with conflicting agendas, which far exceeds the supposed problem of what any individual can pull off in multiple clans. Hence why individuals are essentially harmless.

Rig

Postby Rig » Fri May 17, 2019 10:46 pm

I mean, going into it you're assuming there is ill intent involved. I personally haven't seen any groups of people trying to do this to clans but I don't play LS to know enough of that happening in clans.

isabel

Postby isabel » Fri May 17, 2019 11:41 pm

What would really really help is some kind of document that clearly describes the clan's RP, preferably drafted by players who have really invested time and effort into building the clan.

This would curtail the problem of newer players or new to the clan players shifting the RP. It would also REALLY help with people choosing to interpret the RP in a way that suits their alts. It would also help navigate the confusion around books doing one thing and wotmud doing another when it comes to clan RP.

Shiva

Postby Shiva » Fri May 17, 2019 11:53 pm

isabel wrote:What would really really help is some kind of document that clearly describes the clan's RP, preferably drafted by players who have really invested time and effort into building the clan.

This would curtail the problem of newer players or new to the clan players shifting the RP. It would also REALLY help with people choosing to interpret the RP in a way that suits their alts. It would also help navigate the confusion around books doing one thing and wotmud doing another when it comes to clan RP.

Who is to say a clan must have a stagnant RP though?

Return to “Player's Lounge”