Roleplay Rules

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Vampa

Roleplay Rules

Post by Vampa » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:08 pm

We don't have much in the way of rules regarding Roleplay.

I'm going to adjust that, but to approach the point of updating those rules, I'd first like to establish some basic tenets of RP, and I'd like to start with one at a time.

To begin with, I want to address the concept of agency, and how it relates to RP. This is a great time to address it because there's no relevant topical issues.

Agency is ones ability to make choices for themselves. When it comes to RP, the first rule I will be adding is that you may never rob another player of their agency. You may present them choices, you may even craftily guide them into a catch-22, but you can not remove their ability to choose. This doesn't mean you can't make choices that affect them, there will be times that RP dictates you are the decider and they are the follower, but they still have the choice not to follow your decision. You just can't make choices for them or ignore their choices without just cause in doing so.

You're all welcome to respond here with thoughts on this. I will moderate this discussion as I see fit, which is to say you should follow the rule of attacking the ideas and not each other.

I have updated the Rules of Wotmud to reflect this.

Fyra

Re: Roleplay Rules

Post by Fyra » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:47 pm

I think I agree with and like this rule, but am not sure I completely understand what a violation of this rule would look like. Are you able to give a hypothetical scenario (nothing thats eevr actually happened) where some player or group would be robbed of their agency? I just want to be sure I understand the scope of this RP rule.

Thanks!

Reyne

Post by Reyne » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:57 pm

From the Discord, which might help I think:

"emote watches as Red takes out his wizard hat." is wrong.

"say Red, pull out that wizard hat!" is fine.

The reasoning being that with the first one you are dictating the actions of another character.

Vampa

Post by Vampa » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:03 pm

Sure; You may encounter a male channeler, as a Sedai, in your time playing. You may roleplay with them and offer them choices, to be hunted or to be stilled. If you, instead, tell them you'd help them out, and you take them to the Tower and have them stilled, that'd be a violation.

Another player may encounter someone performing deeds that they find unsavory, and wish to bring harm upon the perpetrator. They are welcome to report them, to attack them, or to handle it by other means. They aren't allowed to log on their alt, warrant the person, and then claim that their own alt reported them to themselves.

A Hand of the Light can suspect someone is a darkfriend, and attempt to corner them into admission. They can know with absolute certainty that that person is a darkfriend, but they can not act on it without the person admitting it themselves, or performing some action that blatantly betrays that they are.

A Chosen may send a raven to someone to deliver a message. You can assume they are a darkfriend because of it, or some Chosen could be violating this rule by sending messages to someone they want to harm the reputation of for OOC reasons in an IC manner.

The player needs to be represented in the actions that affect them.

Vampa

Post by Vampa » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:07 pm

Also, what Reyne said.

Vampa

Post by Vampa » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:29 pm

My off the cuff examples are pretty weak, as well, I'll give more thought to better examples.

Lucie

Post by Lucie » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:28 pm

This might be an example of someone being the decider and my character being the follower?

When I first started RPing Lucie, she was a young girl and she was in Amador. When addressing a Hand of the Light, I mistakenly used the title "Child" before his name when addressing him. Regrettably I hadn't realized he had recently been promoted to "Hand of Light" and his character's RP would rightfully take offense. The player responded by emoting lifting my character off the ground in a choke hold.

Even in that, I still felt like my character had a choice. I could have emoted something else like breaking free and running away, or I could just go along with it, which is what I did. Looking back, maybe instead that character could have emoted something like lunges at your throat in an attempt to subdue you or something, and I could have responded by nimbly steps out of the way or maybe screams as Hand Jimbob's fingers close around her throat.

Had I not been so new, I probably would have sent a tell saying "this is okay so long as you don't kill or maim my character." In the end, when he released Lucie from his deathgrip, he didn't emo releases you from his grip, and you fall, smashing open your skull on the cobblestone. He dropped me and I made my own choice about what happened to Lucie as a result (she broke her arm).

Fyra

Post by Fyra » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:32 pm

These all make sense. Thanks!

livendros

Post by livendros » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:56 pm

sadly it all should of been common sense

Estindn

Post by Estindn » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:24 pm

Just wondering if character descriptions would be a violation of this rule. Because there are tons of those out there