Roleplay Rules

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Fyra

Re: Roleplay Rules

Post by Fyra » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:10 pm

You're all welcome to respond here with thoughts on this. I will moderate this discussion as I see fit, which is to say you should follow the rule of attacking the ideas and not each other.

Bivia

Post by Bivia » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:37 pm

What about people blatantly throwing the "sul'dam are just women who can be taught to channel" in my face during every interaction? in the books that information was powerful because that simple phrase could cause the entire empire to collapse from civil war. am i just supposed to go oh sorry and head back to seandar and start attacking the empress? if its a sedai am i supposed to call them a liar and accuse them of being black ajah for being able to lie through the oaths?

iria

Post by iria » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:47 pm

Could always just use the same argument that Tuon uses. Sul'dam can learn to channel, but choose not to or whatever it was.

Eol

Post by Eol » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:29 pm

Its tough trying to deal with Robert Jordan's poorly written plotholes ;) . Now that Wheel of Time is becoming a show I'm sure Cinema Sins on Youtube will eventually do an Everything Wrong with Wheel of Time and Seanchan will get their due course. Channelers are manipulative and bad? Problem solved - have others channel. Aes Sedai could have found the darkfriends all along with the oath rod? Not quite the Eagles could have flown the ring to Mount Doom bad, but close! :D

Bivia

Post by Bivia » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:41 pm

Yeah. Even if we ignore how bad and flawed tuons argument was, it doesnt change the base problem that the information itself is supposed to be a serious threat to the empires existence and players being willing to just throw it out there from the get go makes it pretty impossible for ss rp to hold up.

Anor

Post by Anor » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:01 pm

People know things they shouldn't due to reading the books is a roleplay issue that will be hard to stop. People need to really ask themselves what their character would know in the world because it would be very limited.

Anor for example "knows" every single Aes Sedai is a darkfriend, and every male channeler is bad. Even though I know for a damn fact that the world is screwed without Aes Sedai and a dragon reborn.

Much like the highly debated dragonsworn topic. The people of the world (the characters) should fear dragonsworn. It should be another false dragon raising an army to cause trouble. Even though we (players) all know that the true dragon will save the world and that the official dragonsworn clan will eventually support a real dragon. As far as anyone in the world is concerned (the characters) dragonsworn should be bad.

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:10 pm

For the record, when Nynaeve collars the sul'dam in book 2, that means there are very few who know of the a'dam working on sul'dam.

Knife of Dreams mentions how the Kin is working on breaking the sul'dam, then sending them back to Seanchan to destabilize their government, so by then it's more common knowledge.

So just tell them that by our timeline, which hovers around the first 3/4s of book 3, they are quoting things they should have no knowledge of and they are being a doofus. And yes, you can count us aiming for the first 3/4 of book 3 as official. Obviously the game is never going to be perfect. Turning back the Eagles' independence would suck, but people should get the idea.

Elissa

Post by Elissa » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:37 pm

Always thought the books were a baseline, and that the differences between our world and Rand's were the choices we made. Example: Emond's Field being independent from Andor,

Rhonin

Post by Rhonin » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:56 pm

We cant at like the tower doesnt know by now since we have had WL jump ship and change clans to tower already. the existence of those characters changes what the sedai would or wouldnt know regardless of when in the books we are supposed to be.

iria

Post by iria » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:04 pm

The x-Tower members who changed to WL are Damane. I think the clan works such as if you are a known channeler, previously clanned etc. you become a Damane and if you are an unknown you can choose if you want to RP a Damane or a Sul'dam.