PC Build - looking for assistance

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Etain

PC Build - looking for assistance

Post by Etain » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:17 pm

My current PC is an eight-year-old home build, and it's starting to show its age. When I built it, I used a build that I got out of a magazine, and this time around I'm trying to assemble it from scratch. Thing is, I don't know enough about the hardware to be confident in what I've put together. I know that there are several people who read these boards that are pretty good at this stuff, so I'm hoping I can get some suggestions.

Here's what I've cobbled together so far:

Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
CPU: AMD Ryzen 2600
CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
GPU: Asus Dual EVO or MSI Ventus XS OC GTX 1660 Super
Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" SATA SSD
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 2x8GB DDR4-3200
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M (I'll be adding two or three case fans to the two included 140mm)
Power supply: Corsair CXM 550W (I think that'll be enough, correct me if I'm wrong)

Plus a G.Skill KM780R mechanical keyboard and Windows 10 Home 64-bit. Going by what PCPartPicker.com says, that build runs about $1000, which is what I'm aiming for. The big question I have is, can I do better for the same price, or at the very least, as well for less money?

My aim is to build something that's as 'future-proof' as possible for that price point. I'm willing to go as high as $1200 if I have to, but I want to know that the new PC will be capable for about as many years as the one it's replacing. I've got a serviceable monitor, a new trackball, headphones, and a DVD-RW drive that I can take from the old build and drop into the new one (it still gets used for a few things).

The computer gets used pretty consistently (pretty much all day long), but mostly for things like playing videos/music, browsing the Internet, and moderate gaming. It doesn't have to be amazing, just good enough to last for a long time. Any help/advice that you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Also, can anyone recommend good resources for researching and keeping up-to-date on this stuff?

Asandra

Re: PC Build - looking for assistance

Post by Asandra » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:09 pm

I cannot give you advice on pricing, as European prices differ.

I think that setup should be pretty future-proof! 550W should be enough, unless you do something silly like go dual-GPU. (never do this!)
Tweaking points:
- invest a bit more in CPU and a bit less in GPU if you don't do any heavy-graphics gaming. You'll never upgrade the CPU, but you might the GPU.
- get a m.2 nvme SSD drive instead of the SATA one. It's a (quite) a bit faster.
- also get a big(ish) SATA HDD to just store junk (movies, big things... whatever) - it's cheap and you'll be happy you have the storage space

Etain

Re: PC Build - looking for assistance

Post by Etain » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:03 am

For whatever reason, it never occurred to me to favor the CPU over the GPU, but you're right, I actually could do that. The only thing that bothers me is that going too much higher on the CPU means doing a BIOS update on the motherboard before installing the CPU. I've seen the process described, and it shouldn't actually be difficult, but the idea is a little intimidating.

I did look into the m.2 NVMe drives, but ended up switching back to the 2.5" in order to cut costs. Same thing with the 500GB drive vs. a bigger drive or SSD/HDD combination. In eight years, I've never exceeded 200GB of my current SSD's capacity, and that's with the OS and storage on the same drive. If I can find one that I'm happy with, I'd still like to go with the m.2 drive, but I'd need one that I know is reliable and not too expensive.