Gate defense bandaid trial.

A place for Immortals of the game to post changes in policy or other relevant announcements for the game.
Elysia

Gate defense bandaid trial.

Post by Elysia » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:51 pm

This is a trial because:

A: every single gate defense room needs individual mobol and I want to get it right before rolling it out.
B: there's no way for imms to quickly check which rooms have gate defenses, so we'll have to work together on that in the future.
C: there is the potential for people coming back to life, which is unintended, hence the limited release.

Recap:
Gate defenses are coded and our current coder imms don't have the access to remove the gate defenses or alter them.

For years, we've tried various things, like making rooms indoors to no effect.

After finding that mobol can in fact see gate defense messages last week, I took to testing the actual damage range. What I found is that gate defenses of the rock and oil type do 63-85 damage. That could potentially be 60-85 if my testing didn't reveal the lowest range.

So now we know the range, we can do a trial.

The Dog Gate in Fal Dara and the Gate to Osenrein (the south-east gate in Tar Valon) now have the 'gate defense bandaid mobol'. In short, this mobol heals 60 hps if you've been hit by a rock/oil. As mobol can't detect the actual damage done and we obviously don't want people regenning, I've gone with what is likely the lowest amount of damage that mobol will heal you.

IMPORTANT NOTE!!! As the damage is first deducted by coding and then healed by mobol, which has a delay since it has to see the action first, you can still die to gate defenses!! However, if you have higher hps, you will see them poof and be partially added.

As a tradeoff for gate defenses being gone, there will now also be a small chance that you will be Chilled.

All of the above is subject to review. No idea how this will work out, we'll just have to see if what we can do will be enough.

Elysia

Re: Gate defense bandaid trial.

Post by Elysia » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:39 pm

After Zangief reminded me which other rooms in Fal Dara have gate defenses (I was never quite sure on the one north of crossing), I added those two too:

Malkier Gate and 3n crossing now have the 'anti-gate defenses bandaid mobol'.

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:49 pm

After feedback, I downed the amount the Chill goes off by a TON. Try it out, see how it goes and if it works well enough maybe this can be applied all over.

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Sun May 10, 2020 5:54 pm

Found out that Fal Dara has thrown rocks, oil AND arrows. The mobol looking for thrown boulders and then not seeing oil made it dysfunctional at Malk and north of crossing. That has been fixed.

I cringe for the day that I'll have to roll this out globally. :P