This is a multi-stage sidetrade, a bit like smelting.
- There are two prospectors out and about, in the west and in the north-east near or in some tunnels, who can HELP you regarding the ins and outs of this sidetrade. This is a guild and you will have to pay to gain entry to the guild.
- There are deposits of sediment scattered across the land. Often in or surrounding river or stream beds. Two are underground, instead. These will deplete and reappear on repop.
- There are piles of stones by various rivers, where one can sieve/ wash what you mined. This part does not require guild membership.
- There are gemcutters in Dark Fort, Far Madding and Seandar, who will also HELP you. For a fee of either 10 or 20 gcs will cut your raw emerald/ ruby/ sapphire/ diamond into either a small OR large emerald/ ruby/ sapphire/ diamond. You can sell the small stones. The large ones will be used for crafting rares.
- There are gemologist jewelers in Dark Fort, Far Madding and Seandar, again responding to HELP, who will buy the small sparkling emerald/ ruby/ sapphire/ diamonds off you. Note that these gemologists do not load cash, so killing them will be useless, but they do have a limited supply per repop.
- There is a gem broker in Lugard Market Hall who will trade for the large sparkling emerald/ ruby/ sapphire/ diamond.