Roleplay Rules

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Rhys

Re: Roleplay Rules

Post by Rhys » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:24 pm

Jaye wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:02 pm
Reyne wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:35 pm
Naerin wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:33 pm
Logs *are* remembered events, from a certain perspective. They are not necessarily factual accounts; they can be edited to add or remove things (it's just a text file!). I would view them as accounts of the events in question from one person's perspective, just like you're looking for; whether they're given orally or in a log doesn't matter.
This is more or less how I view them. What helps is when more than 1 person sends logs from their own perspectives which all corroborate each other. Like comparing witness statements to each other, if you will.
I agree.

I see logs the way I see photos. I studied photography, and due to it's ties with journalism, and the fact that at the time of it's inception a camera was seen as a machine rather than a tool that could be used artistically, photographs were largely accepted as fact. It's only in recent years with photoshop etc. that people have begun to question that, when in fact photographs could be doctored from the beginning.

A log can be doctored. Someone with time and dedication could even just write one. I think they're acceptable as a report but on it's own it is not sufficient evidence. The idea of imagining them as an eyewitness account is a good one.
+1

Interesting thoughts

Ominas

Re: Roleplay Rules

Post by Ominas » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:15 pm

Also agree with Jaye